You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Yes, Footnotes ares ABSOLUTELY requested!!
Thank you, at SERIF, for listening to us!

In addition to that, a FIND>REPLACE feature would be highly appreciated as well.
Actually, Publisher can't be used if you have to prepare a book for printing!
The spelling tools are too poor or don't exist (at least in the French version I am using.)

Hello, Sukram 1947.

Welcome to the forum.

1. The footnote function does not yet exist. There are two workarounds: manually create this footnote as printers used to do in the past, or simply create manually end of chapter, end of section, or end of book notes.
  2. The search-replace function exits and is very efficient.
  3. Spelling tools do not exist. There are only dictionaries. For French, it is even worse, this dictionary exists only in the old spelling, that is to say outdated for 30 years, which makes it of little use.
  4. For the French there is another problem, that of a terrible translation made with google translate. The translating company obviously does not know the technical terms of desktop publishing, and also commits a lot of French and spelling mistakes.

Here are the real major problems to solve, for me. Hopefully all of this will be changed quickly by spring 2020.

affinity-replace.png

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Thanks to Mike W. and Pyanepsion who replied promptly and precisely. Their posts were very useful to me.
I am new in Publisher (as former InDesign user)and actually didn't realize that there was a F/R feature!!
Regarding now footnotes, yes, of course, we can find solutions, but again, one must be extremely careful, because if your main text is modified - what happens rather often - the footnote may have to be moved to another page, what means changing again the text block, etc... Cumbersome! But this will certainly be fixed in a near future!
This being said, congratulations to the developers, who offered a fantastic tool for a more than reasonable price :-)

Hi Pyanepsion,

Just as an aside -- noting, in passing, and with some embarrassment, as an Englishman, your comments on the French translations in Affinity Publisher:

-- I'm sure you will already have reported this to Affinity, using an appropriate forum thread (and I acknowledge this is not the appropriate one), but if not it might be worth adding to the list: isn't that yet another mistake on the French Texte menu shown in your screenshot....

...shouldn't "Interlignagede paragraphe" be "Interlignage de paragraphe" ?

This is probably not at the top of your list, but the journey towards perfection is a long one..... :12_slight_smile:

Hi,

placing footnotes manually is not a problem. It is about changing them. If you put another footnote in between, everything changes. That is the problem. Pretty messy.

For me starting with new software is like betting on horses. Who is going to win or who is going to run for a long time. Waiting that long for that an important feature can be an indication that the horse is already tired. Not a good sign for me. But I find the rest of publisher quite consistant. My first projects passed the print shop without problems. Unfortunately there is no question yet about bigger projects like books. So I will have to stick to Indesign too. :(

Where is the fire of Affinity? In any case, thanks so far.

1 hour ago, Jaak Hillen said:

Waiting that long for that an important feature can be an indication that the horse is already tired.

Maybe the horse isn't a horse? Maybe it is a colt, not prepared for races?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Hi All,

I've just moved from PagePlus to Affinity, for a new book I'm working on. I'm VERY grateful that Affinity Publisher is finally out, and has a future.

I've read many of the comments about footnotes, and of course I agree. I'm actually using endnotes, created in a word processor. Copying essays from a word processor has been a pain, because things like italics are lost (using "paste as plain text"), unless you want to hassle with having to change all of the styles after pasting the content. But also of course, the footnote / endnote numbers are lost completely.

However, I've found a decent workaround to preserve the endnote / footnote numbers:

In my word processor (I use Libre Office Writer and also TextMaker (part of SoftMaker Office) I save the essay as an html file.

Then, I pull the html file up in my browser and simply copy and paste the text. All of the numbers in the text are preserved and copied.

Using html, the endnotes at the bottom of the essay can also be copied, with numbers intact. (I haven't tried footnotes, but I imagine they'll work as well.)

Unfortunately, the in-text numbers lose their superscript style, so that has to be added, but at least the numbers don't have to be inserted.

Of course, I realize that these numbers in the text are not dynamic, but I think it's better than having to insert them all.

Anyway, it's a bit of a workaround.

Peter Brown

datavarius_logo_dv_50.jpg.620c8e62273c6224ead02c1f7ae8f76f.jpg

I'm a writer, speaker, and publisher.
I also own a web programming consulting business at:
https://datavarius.com
I specialize in creating custom websites and web database applications.

You can also export the document as a PDF and import this, complete with endnotes (footnotes are a problem though). However, this is a problematic process as no paragraph or character styles are imported and there is a line break for every line. While I think the line breaks could be stripped out, the loss of all the styles is a major headache.

Thanks, Last Chance.

I think that messing with the line breaks is more work than I'd like to do. It seems like HTML is a slightly cleaner option, at least to me.

Peter

datavarius_logo_dv_50.jpg.620c8e62273c6224ead02c1f7ae8f76f.jpg

I'm a writer, speaker, and publisher.
I also own a web programming consulting business at:
https://datavarius.com
I specialize in creating custom websites and web database applications.

any update on this one from the Affinity team?

marekmati.com

[MAC OS 12.2, MacBook Pro  2017, 15-inch, 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon Pro 560, Intel HD Graphics 630, 500GB SSD + Philips Monitor 4K/60fps 10bit color via DisplayPort to USB-C cable]

Affinity Publisher 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Photo 1.10.5

Is it obvious? Remaining quiet and being patient is fine in a non-commercial world where deadlines do not exist, but it would be nice to be kept abreast of the actual progress and a possible timeline - we do need to know one way or the other. Do I switch back to InDesign or should I remain with Affinity?

5 minutes ago, Last Chance said:

Is it obvious? ... Do I switch back to InDesign or should I remain with Affinity?

If you need footnotes now, then what do you think you need to use?

28 minutes ago, Sukram1947 said:

About this Footnotes problem, it is obvious that the developers will implement this feature. It's just a matter of time.
So  let's remain ... patient...

I don't believe the issue has anything to do with patience for any person using/needing footnotes, endnotes, or XYZ features that are not yet present in an Affinity application.

13 minutes ago, Last Chance said:

but it would be nice to be kept abreast of the actual progress and a possible timeline - we do need to know one way or the other. 

Serif many times have made clear that they do not publish a timeline for the implementation of features (for several reasons). If it's not there, it's not there. If you need this feature now you have to use some different software.

I am very sure they are aware of the lack of footnotes and endnotes and this will come eventually. We just do not know.

I hope this helps you planning your upcoming projects 🙂

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

6 minutes ago, MikeW said:

If you need footnotes now, then what do you think you need to use?

It's called forward planning.

My point is that I publish books and certain projects are nearing completion. So should I throw money at the Adobe solution (expensive and their support sucks - unlike Serif, I would like to point out), which means committing to a minimum monthly fee of £20, or £50 per month for the full Creative Cloud "experience".

I am plodding away quite happily with Affinity Publisher & Photo for the small magazines I'm committed to, but once the next book project kicks in then we are talking of at least six months development to get it print-ready (it's about 400pp and liberally illustrated). So I need to commit one way or the other quite soon, e.g. although Publisher will soon allow the importing of InDesign files, the same cannot be said for the reverse.

My own book will follow this and will probably be two volumes, 800pp; again liberally illustrated, so this isn't a light undertaking.

Don't get me wrong - I am impressed (stunned!) by what Publisher can offer for £50 and would quite happily pay double that for the features planned. It's the "not knowing" that make my buttocks clench 😉

Hi, LastChance and Mike! I understand you. But I repeat: keep quiet, stop the rat race and find a another way to get your foot-/endnotes 😊
It's not so complicated as long as you don't rearrange your pages!)

Now, concerning your question, well, if you are a professional in the field, keep using InDesign! Adobe is a sound reference, and since you get payed for your work, no problem with the expensive subscription system Adobe has forced us to adopt.
I used to be a professional in the field and used Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign without discuting the price, because they were – and will remain – the absolute reference.
But then comes the time when you are no more a professional. And then forget Adobe, it's no more for you!!
When I got retired, I looked for an alternative – with little hope,.. And found the Affinity suite which is at 95%  equivalent to Adobe's for a fraction of the price.
More: it is in many respects, better!

Last but not least, I could reopen and reuse the hundreds of Freehand illustrations I made in the past and considered lost, since Adobe, after having absorbed Macromedia and discontinued Freehand never offered a possibility to have conversion to Illustrator. And here comes Affinity, and you get the conversion you had stopped dreaming of...
Let's see what we receive and stop complaining too much!
And again: I am absolutely shure that we will get our foot-/ennotes feature soon...

51 minutes ago, Last Chance said:

Remaining quiet and being patient is fine in a non-commercial world where deadlines do not exist

Would you commit suicide if Affinity didn't exist? 😀

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

9 minutes ago, Sukram1947 said:

well, if you are a professional in the field, keep using InDesign!

What about Quark? Or Viva Designer? Why are you stucked woit InDesign as it is sent from God?