You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

33 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@24e

Bienvenue sur les forums d’affinité Serif :) 

Merci pour votre contribution. n'hésitez pas à continuer à poster dans votre propre langue

Во ред. Бидејќи англискиот јазик не е мој мајчин јазик, а со цел подобро да се разбереме, отсега ќе пишувам пораки само на македонски.

Ви благодарам на разбирањето.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

6 minutes ago, AlainP said:

Не се фрустрирај Петар ...

А бе, глупава логика имаат. Наместо тој што бара помош да се помачи да преведе со Гугл, треба да се мачат сите оние што сакаат да му помогнат.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

17 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

А бе, глупава логика имаат. Наместо тој што бара помош да се помачи да преведе со Гугл, треба да се мачат сите оние што сакаат да му помогнат.

Ah, Petar...not everyone suffers because someone posts in their own language. If I am interested, I'll translate the post and respond in English.

And besides that, your English is better than a lot of US citizens...

25 minutes ago, AlainP said:

Don't start a war Petar...

It is not a war. Just simple logic. It is much easier for the user who wants help to make an effort and translate the text into English, instead everyone who would like to help him.

7 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

It is not a war. Just simple logic. It is much easier for the user who wants help to make an effort and translate the text into English, instead everyone who would like to help him.

That's right Petar - but instead of endless discussions, an immediate reference to translate.google would have been much more helpful ... as you can easily see, this was the first post of 24e - and he / she maybe was unaware that this is predominantly a English forum ...

Cheers

Joerg

• Staff
2 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Во ред. Бидејќи англискиот јазик не е мој мајчин јазик, а со цел подобро да се разбереме, отсега ќе пишувам пораки само на македонски.

Ви благодарам на разбирањето.

Вие сте повеќе од добредојдени да пишувате пораки само на македонски јазик.

Бидејќи францускиот е еден од 9 јазици во кои го продаваме нашиот софтвер за афинитет, тој е оној за кој секогаш предлагаме дека е во ред на форумите.

Ви благодариме за разбирањето.

---------------------------------------

To other readers

Serif sell in 9 languages and these support forums are one of 2 main support routes (the other being AffinitySupport@Serif.com). Clearly our customers should be able to communicate with us in the language they use the software in, so they can make reference to features as they see them.

I am personally also happy to use Google Translate to communicate in languages that are not in those 9. I cannot speak for other members of staff. If you want forum regulars (non-serif staff) to help you may get a faster response if you post in English. google translate is easy to use and gets the gist most of the time if the language of any post is not your native language.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
2 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Having translated this post by 24e, if it had been anything more significant than a "me too" post I probably would have translated it for everyone and mod edited the post. As it was a simple "me too" I welcomed him/her with no other response required. So when a difficult problem is presented in non-english I do often translate and mod-edit the OP in case forum regulars can assist. However this case was not one of those. Insisting on translations is not always needed to be helpful, and may put users off coming here. Being a first post that is not the impression I want to present. I hope you understand

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

27 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Вие сте повеќе од добредојдени да пишувате пораки само на македонски јазик.

Бидејќи францускиот е еден од 9 јазици во кои го продаваме нашиот софтвер за афинитет, тој е оној за кој секогаш предлагаме дека е во ред на форумите.

Ви благодариме за разбирањето.

Thank you Patrick for your effort. I'm always willing to help people if I can. But translating foreign languages just to see what the author had to say and even with "Google Translate" which is not good enough... It will turn into galimatias if everybody starts to write in its mother tongue. English is choosen as lingua franca at least at this forum just because of efficency.

On 9/11/2019 at 10:32 AM, Patrick Connor said:

happy to use Google Translate

I wonder if this could be incorporated into the forum software somehow, so that a user could select their native language, and any posts they make are internally tagged as being in that language.  Then when someone with a different language selected views the post, it gets translated automatically, with an indicator that it was translated and an option to see it in the original language instead...

More food for thought.  Obviously a bit off-topic for the Serif team, but maybe something to pass along to the forum software vendor?

10 hours ago, A_B_C said:

What you suggest can basically be achieved by installing a Google Translate browser extension. Of course, you will have to assess the related privacy issues yourself.

Just a footnote. ;)

Plugin.thumb.png.a85f2d5b576a03315d220c30b233f64c.png

Another footnote: it does a good job at 'Affinitätsunterstützung' ;-)

Seriously, how would Google Translate tell that Affinity is a brand name? Surprisingly it stays with Affinity Photo at the top right...

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 9/11/2019 at 5:10 PM, Petar Petrenko said:

But translating foreign languages just to see what the author had to say and even with "Google Translate" which is not good enough... It will turn into galimatias if everybody starts to write in its mother tongue.

That's not the first post in another language, and there are longer than this one you didn't complain about.

We can manage and translate those post if we want, or not and let people who are able to reply do it since they'll use better sentence that what can be produce by Google translate about technical terms specific to fields or applications that'll end up as galimatias.

Some can read and reply in English, but not all of us, and we can be suspicious of Google translate… some translations are more fun than accurate.

Most of the time, people able to help in the OP language will do it, if they don't miss the post, and that's a nice side of this forum.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:02 PM, Pyanepsion said:

Hi, Petar Petrenko.

:D If you ask in English to speak English, you are not sure of being understood. Not everyone really understands all languages. For my part, I master especially the most popular of them: the Google translate.

24th says: "Urgently please, add the possibility to add notes at the bottom of the page!". 

People on this forum are smart enough to figure out what you mean in English. I mean, they are smart enough to use Affinity software...:D

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I"m simply adding a voice of ascent to this thread, but as a book designer and publisher, footnote/endnote and sidenote ability is essential. Ideally this feature would have other advanced features related to alignment to the baseline (first line only, or entire paragraph form), space between notes (treated as paragraphs?), how numbering or special characters for notes are displayed, spacing before notes and between marker and note, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just gave up the idea of designing my thesis on affinity publisher because of the lack of a footnote functionality ... I go back to Indesign, to me it's a big fail for Affinity Publisher, and it made me lose a lot of precious time.

(ps: I bought Affinity publisher specifically for my thesis.)

Edited by julienkinkin

Unfortunately I too was forced to renew my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription. I waited in the hope that the footnotes would arrive but it wasn't like that !!
It's impossible to work with Affinity for those with lots of notes, it's a real shame, I bought the whole suite !!
If I had known before I would have given up I would never have thought that there was not such an important element ...
Goodbye

I do think it's regrettable that those wishing to avoid subscription-only products can no longer buy a licence on the Serif website to download PagePlus X9, which does have footnotes (and endnotes) capability.

That product was (and remains) a seriously competent, if aged, workhorse, and was still available to buy direct from Serif -- at under £20 -- until just this month.

I wonder whether Serif/Affinity might be persuaded to re-open online sales of PagePlus X9, at least while Affinity Publisher continues to lack some of its features?

• Staff
Just now, PatrickOfLondon said:

I wonder whether Serif/Affinity might be persuaded to re-open online sales of PagePlus X9, at least while Affinity Publisher continues to lack some of its features?

I very much doubt it, although still functional as you say it has to be deprecated at some point, and Serif have decided that point has come, sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I very much doubt it, although still functional as you say it has to be deprecated at some point, and Serif have decided that point has come, sorry.

Patrick, understood, but in effect it had already been long-since deprecated in that it was being sold as a legacy product, with the explicit statement that it was unsupported.

For those who would happily buy a deprecated, unsupported product if it gave them the facilities they want, I would still hold out hope (probably forlorn) that it might come back for sale online, until Affinity Publisher catches up with it in some areas.

10 minutes ago, PatrickOfLondon said:

Hello, Patrick of London.

It is unfortunate that Serif still has not finished some major functions of desktop publishing, but that does not justify going back to an antiquity such as PagePlus X9! That would fall from Charybdis into Scylla.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?