You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff
5 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

do you think still think some sort of statement on future features is likely?

No I do not, sorry I was misleading but my expectations have not been met.

6 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

I think it might be helpful to some of us if we know that some of our pet feature requests are at least planned for late

For what it's worth I agree

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

8 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

Now that Serif has removed the roadmap posts for Designer and Photo, do you think still think some sort of statement on future features is likely? I don't mean to suggest that Serif owes it to us to share that information, but I think it might be helpful to some of us if we know that some of our pet feature requests are at least planned for later. Then we wouldn't feel the need to keep trying to justify why they should be considered.

I have some strange feeling they are already on their way. :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

On 7/8/2019 at 5:15 AM, BNaegeli said:

URGENT !

I need footnotes and endnotes facilities. PLEASE !

Me too, more than urgent! The book I'm working on is in the older PagePlus where there is no problem with footnotes or endnotes. In purchasing Affinity Publisher I had hoped for an even more robust publishing program and features I need just not there.  Is there a fix coming soon?

Sandy Rivkin (Chichester)

6 minutes ago, Sandy Rivkin said:

Is there a fix coming soon?

I don’t think we will know for sure until we see it show up in a beta. As it is one of the few features that Serif has confirmed is or will be in the works, I know we can expect it at some point, and I would not be surprised if it is among the first new features to be added. But that is just a hunch, and I suspect we will have another round or two of bug fix betas before we move into another cycle of major updates.

These are just my unofficial guesses based on the general feeling I get from being around the forum since the beginnings of the public beta. I am nearly certain we will not be seeing footnotes for the next several weeks at minimum, and it could be significantly longer.

Now if they can prove me wrong, I would love to be wrong in this case. Otherwise, the future looks bright, but don’t get your hopes up for the near-term.

Ugh... just when I was setting up my very first real project using Publisher (a white paper for one of my clients), creating master pages and text styles... I discovered it does not support footnotes yet... :47_tired_face: ... so frustrating...

Back to InDesign...

19 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

I don’t think we will know for sure until we see it show up in a beta. As it is one of the few features that Serif has confirmed is or will be in the works, I know we can expect it at some point, and I would not be surprised if it is among the first new features to be added. But that is just a hunch, and I suspect we will have another round or two of bug fix betas before we move into another cycle of major updates.

These are just my unofficial guesses based on the general feeling I get from being around the forum since the beginnings of the public beta. I am nearly certain we will not be seeing footnotes for the next several weeks at minimum, and it could be significantly longer.

Now if they can prove me wrong, I would love to be wrong in this case. Otherwise, the future looks bright, but don’t get your hopes up for the near-term.

I quote myself, because maybe they are going to prove me wrong after all. I wonder if 1.8 is coming sooner than I thought. If you don't mind my jerking this snippet out of its context for a completely unrelated issue:

2 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

We do have a fix for this internally, but it probably won't be included now until 1.8.

If it is already fixed internally but probably won't come out until 1.8 rather than a sooner bug fix release, then maybe betas for 1.8 aren't too far away. 

A DTP without referencing is incomplete. I own Affinity Design and like the company, but I have a 200 page book full of references. There is no way I'm going to enter these manually. I too want to ditch the Adobe chains completely and give you my money, but at present this is a lame product. If people are only using it for small projects like flyers, just stick with Designer.  Desktop Publishers need to support real books.

19 minutes ago, impossiblecolor said:

but at present this is a lame product. If people are only using it for small projects like flyers, just stick with Designer.  Desktop Publishers need to support real books.

Please remember that this is only release 1 of the product. If Serif had waited until all the "required" functions (that is, functions mentioned as required by someone) were present, we would not have Publisher at all yet. As it is, we have something that works for books that do not need cross-references and do not need footnotes. And there are real books that don't need them. Even if your books need those functions, someone else's might not.

But yes, if it works for you, use it. If not, don't. No one is forcing you to use Publisher if your project is too complex for it in its current state of development.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I really appreciate the answers here that have pointed out that APub is still in development and Adobe has had all those years to get to where they are now. I will be patient, continue the upgrades and use PagePlus X9 for now. By not trying to use Affinity Publisher for my books full of footnotes, endnotes and references I'll use it for small projects just to learn the software. I am very impressed with and support the whole Serif/Affinity software group.

Serif PagePlus allows me to insert a file (a Word document) with text and endnotes that are complete with superscript digits. I thought Affinity Publisher would be a better product, but as I am many hours behind in the midst of manually inserting superscript digits that were omitted when I placed text into Affinity Publisher, I conclude that Affinity Publisher is at present an inferior product.

13 minutes ago, lesbillbell said:

Serif PagePlus allows me to insert a file (a Word document) with text and endnotes that are complete with superscript digits. I thought Affinity Publisher would be a better product, but as I am many hours behind in the midst of manually inserting superscript digits that were omitted when I placed text into Affinity Publisher, I conclude that Affinity Publisher is at present an inferior product.

Very wise conclusion I must say. :)

Go back to PageMaker, then.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

4 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Very wise conclusion I must say. :)

:D The conclusion of Lesbillbell is of course excessive. The fact remains that the Footnote feature is sorely lacking. Because of this rather surprising lack, many hours are spent creating these footnotes, and then adapting them when the position of the footnote changes pages as the replay proceeds.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

As I've stated I have gone back to PagePlus to finish the project which needs footnotes and endnotes.  It seems to me that Affinity developed the graphic capabilities first and focused on integrating  that software. Still, Affinity Publisher has great potential and plan to continue the upgrades. It's so far so good.

Hi, Sandy.

9_9 Using PagePlus is inappropriate. We do not replace an electric Renault ZOE with a Fiat 500 petrol, because the air conditioning does not work yet!

Until Affinity corrects this rather abnormal deficiencies, the technique consits to:

1. Create a full-width text box with margins and a footnote paragraph style (text in general 83% of normal text size).
  2. Note the height. Delete a line and adjust the frame. This makes it possible to know how the text box of the footnotes will be according to the number of lines of text.
  3.  Add a line on the entire width slightly above the text frame, typically 75% a padding of the size of a line of text.

Then you just have to copy a footnote and reproduce it and adapt wherever you need it.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

APublisher imports neither the footnote text nor the footnote references.

Following your technique, Footnote text will have to be copied from the source file and pasted one by one into the Publisher document and footnote references will have to be inserted manually. Dozens per chapter, in my case.

Not a task I'm looking forward to.

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

53 minutes ago, RM f/g said:

footnote references will have to be inserted manually.

We totally agree. This is only an effective alternative in the meantime. Highly Affinity adds this feature.

On 8/22/2019 at 7:19 PM, impossiblecolor said:

A DTP without referencing is incomplete. I own Affinity Design and like the company, but I have a 200 page book full of references. There is no way I'm going to enter these manually. I too want to ditch the Adobe chains completely and give you my money, but at present this is a lame product. If people are only using it for small projects like flyers, just stick with Designer.  Desktop Publishers need to support real books.

Not only books, also a lot of magazines are made with DTP programs. And they don't need that feature.

On 8/27/2019 at 2:45 PM, Pyanepsion said:

:D The conclusion of Lesbillbell is of course excessive. The fact remains that the Footnote feature is sorely lacking. Because of this rather surprising lack, many hours are spent creating these footnotes, and then adapting them when the position of the footnote changes pages as the replay proceeds.

I am quite sure we will see the light of footnotes/end notes. But I presume stability fixes have priority at the moment. A version 1.8 or 1.9 might see foot/end notes.

48 minutes ago, 24e said:

De toute urgence SVP, rajoutez la possibilité d'ajouter des notes en bas de page !

In English, please.

• Staff

@24e

Bienvenue sur les forums d’affinité Serif :) 

Merci pour votre contribution. n'hésitez pas à continuer à poster dans votre propre langue

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

In English, please.

Hi, Petar Petrenko.

:D If you ask in English to speak English, you are not sure of being understood. Not everyone really understands all languages. For my part, I master especially the most popular of them: the Google translate.

24th says: "Urgently please, add the possibility to add notes at the bottom of the page!".