You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 hours ago, Stephen B said:

You are of course right and I agree. My statement was more along the lines of "Footnotes will come to Publisher when they are done" rather than it's a trivial thing to do, and to do right. The basics needed are there, we have structure with page numbers and chapters, and we have pinnable containers that move with the paragraph they are pinned to. Building structured foot-/side-/endnotes from this is another thing altogether, I am sure.

Sounds like we share enthusiasm and praise for what Serif/Affinity have done to date. Given what they've achieved so far, we can hope that footnotes and end notes will be high in the priority list of future developments for APublisher. And if anyone can tie all the components together to deliver the functionality, it looks like the Affinity team are well placed.

• Staff

@Sandy Rivkin

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

I expect that there will be a statement on what features will be added to Affinity Publisher. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I think someone has asked for the following concerning footnotes and endnotes.

1. The ability to import footnotes and endnotes in Microsoft Word files.  
  2. The ability to format footnotes in the footer section of the document.  What I mean is fully format the text, spacing, etc.

It would be so good if the Affinity Development Team makes this available soon.  

16 minutes ago, Rory Mole said:

The ability to import footnotes and endnotes in Microsoft Word files.  

Why would somebody want to do this? From a horse to a donkey? :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

The reason for the importing of footnotes and endnotes from Microsoft word documents is this:

I layout academic books for clients who put their own footnotes into Microsoft word which is their writing software of choice for their manuscript.  When I layout their book in a layout program such as Affinity Publisher, I want to have the ability to "place" or "import" their manuscripts which contain lots of footnotes and/or endnotes.  I do not want to have to manually add 500+ footnotes into their sentences of text on pages in Affinity Publisher.  Adobe InDesign has this ability and I am wanting to completely move away from Adobe. This is not going backwards from a horse to a donkey as you have questioned, it is just how things are in the book publishing industry.

I agree with Rory Mole, In most of the projects I'm involved with, the authors' MS Word document manuscripts include footnotes. When I import them into my layout/publishing program I need those footnotes (together with their marks in the main body) to be imported, and then to be able to format them appropriately with style, etc. Like Rory, I don't want to have to manually insert footnotes. (Guess I'm just used to being able to do it in PagePlus)

50 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Why would somebody want to do this? From a horse to a donkey? :)

I'm not sure it's very nice to compare Publisher with a donkey! :D

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

29 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I'm not sure it's very nice to compare Publisher with a donkey!

Who said Publisher? I meant Word.

1 hour ago, Rory Mole said:

The reason for the importing of footnotes and endnotes from Microsoft word documents is this:

You wrote IN Word, not FROM it.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Hi there Petar, 

I'm not sure what is happening here about my comment, but I hope you understand the need to import Microsoft Word files into Publisher which have footnotes applied to them by authors.  Publisher can "Place" Microsoft Word files into a Publisher document, but with limitations. One of the big limitations is that Publisher does not support footnotes and endnotes at the moment, therefore any footnotes or endnotes that an MS Word document has in it will not be applied to the Publisher document when they are "Placed".
This feature needs to be added to Publisher.

Try telling millions of writers that they should not be using MS Word for their manuscripts because it's a "donkey" program.  Lots of people us MS Word still.
The development team at Affinity, put the ability into Publisher to be able to "Place" MS Word document content into a Publisher document.  I'm sure they are working on adding lots more capability to the "Place" function in Publisher to have many more features options available.

Hope this gives a bit more clarity to my thoughts.

3 hours ago, Rory Mole said:

The ability to import footnotes and endnotes in Microsoft Word files.  

Sorry, I quoted you wrongfully. This is the correct qoute. Here you said that you want to import footnotes into Word not from it. :)

15 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Sorry, I quoted you wrongfully. This is the correct qoute. Here you said that you want to import footnotes into Word not from it. :)

It was a simple misunderstanding, so it is probably best that we drop it. But I’m not dropping it (haha!).

Rory did not say "into" but "in." English has the annoying habit of dropping the relative pronoun, and sometimes it can obscure the meaning, but as I native speaker, I did understand it. To turn the sentence around, what Rory wants to import is "footnotes and endnotes [that are] in Microsoft Word." If Rory had said "footnotes and endnotes into Microsoft Word," as you suggested, then it would have had the opposite meaning.

So now we know what Rory meant, and that it could be correctly understood as written to native English speakers. Now we can move on.

• 2 weeks later...

Re footnotes/endnotes. I have been using Pageplus since it started in 1991. Every document I create uses footnotes/endnotes. I have edited a peer-reviewed archaeological / architectural academic Journal of over 400 pages each year for the last 15 + years. The number of words can easily reach 150,000 or more in each Journal. All submissions to the Journal  are sent  in various levels of Word that have lengthy notes. In the past Pageplus has handled the import of these documents pretty well and formats the endnotes well. 

I did expect Affinity to have the same functionality, so I purchased the new program from its release from day one. Its inability to handle footnotes/endnotes means that I will have to continue using Pageplus X9 until such time as they appear in Publisher, so the Journal I am currently working on will have to stay in X9 until early 2020 at least. I am also working on the next 2020 Journal, and once started cannot be transferred into the Affinity Publisher format. Pageplus X9 is good, but has not been touched for about 3 years now. So here's hoping you can get on with asap. Thanks.

Neil Guy  

1 hour ago, danzefirelli said:

the lack of footnotes is annoying... can someone from Affinity answer when they will implement this function? thanks!

Serif generally does not comment on when enhancements will be released. But from their other responses we know they recognize that this feature is needed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On the Mac, a personal publishing app that can do – in addition to footnotes and endnotes – LaTeX (and MathML) in a human way is Apple Pages. You write as humans do, and when needed type formulas as a programmer. This could also be a hint for a later addition to Publisher.

Paolo

Hello everyone!

I'm testing Publisher in these days. It's very smart and quick to learn from zero.

But, endnotes/footnotes could be the most useful thing for editorial and magazine designers which working on books and newspapers. It takes a long time to digit all the notes in a book contains 100-150 notes.

Please Affinity. It is necessary I think. 

Edited by Antonio Iaconesso

• 2 weeks later...

Would absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE to see both of these options in Publisher! In fact, here's a phenomenal suggestion, how about adding support for Zotero so I, and other academic orientated types, would be able to have it insert bibliographic information into the document? 
Thanks!

Thomas

On 7/2/2019 at 1:02 PM, Patrick Connor said:

I expect that there will be a statement on what features will be added to Affinity Publisher. 

Now that Serif has removed the roadmap posts for Designer and Photo, do you still think some sort of statement on future features is likely? I don't mean to suggest that Serif owes it to us to share that information, but I think it might be helpful to some of us if we know that some of our pet feature requests are at least planned for later. Then we wouldn't feel the need to keep trying to justify why they should be considered.