You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For me it would be enough – for the time being – if footnotes were imported as plain text.

As some of us may remember, InDesign CS1 imported footnotes as ‘static’ endnotes. Then we would have the footnote text on board and we can work on from there and make up our own solution for getting the note text in the desired place.

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

42 minutes ago, RM f/g said:

As some of us may remember, InDesign CS1 imported footnotes as ‘static’ endnotes

But now? InDesign has footnotes and endnotes. If footnotes were not so important they could stay on endnotes only.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

13 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

But now? InDesign has footnotes and endnotes. If footnotes were not so important they could stay on endnotes only.

True. But I'm not discussing ID here, I'm only suggesting a way to import notes in Publisher which now doesn't import notes at all.

I don't see myself manually inserting (static) note references and notes in a book with 200–300 pages with dozens, if not hundreds of notes per chapter (yes, that happens in my imperfect corner of the world).

If notes, or rather note texts, were imported at the end of the body text, I would only have to cut/paste the text into a separate text frame on the page which contains the note reference. If footnotes are required.

I used to work that way in CS1 and still do so now in CS6 if I'm using side notes. If the author later wants to add – or delete –a footnote, I can renumber note numbers and note references automaticly with some scrips I wrote, so that shouldn't be a pro... Oops! No scripting support!

Edited by RM f/g

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

54 minutes ago, RM f/g said:

Oops! No scripting support!

I think it is too early to expect scripting support. Features (and I assume inner workings, too) are still added and modified. It does not make sense to try to script these things because with each modification and addition the scripting side of these had to be adapted as well.

Once everything is setup and the basic feature set is there (= released) scripting may follow at some point.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I know. And I'm not asking for scripting support in at this stage.

But now I'm toying about with APublisher (and Viva Designer) I've come to realise how much I use scripted tasks in my workflow.

46 minutes ago, RM f/g said:

I know. And I'm not asking for scripting support in at this stage.

But now I'm toying about with APublisher (and Vivadesigner) I've come to realise how much I use scripted tasks in my workflow.

Viva Designer (Commercial version at least) has JavaScript capabilities. There is a separate documentation download for the scripting manual. It has footnotes as well. I haven't tried rewriting any of my ID scripts and have no idea what that would be like. I have written a couple from scratch, though.

Unfortunately, having no footnotes is a dealbreaker for me too. Might as well have no letter 'e', or unable to deal with upper case characters -- it's that basic and essential. I downloaded the Beta, it looks pretty, but it can't do the job.  I'll come back in 6 months, see if anything's happened in the meantime. 

23 hours ago, Loader said:

I'll come back in 6 months, see if anything's happened in the meantime. 

Considering that Photo and Designer are now being labelled "RC" versions I don't think you'll see this for closer to a year at least.

On 5/25/2019 at 3:10 PM, Loader said:

Unfortunately, having no footnotes is a dealbreaker for me too. Might as well have no letter 'e', or unable to deal with upper case characters -- it's that basic and essential. I downloaded the Beta, it looks pretty, but it can't do the job.  I'll come back in 6 months, see if anything's happened in the meantime. 

I love the hyperbole.

Personally, I'd rather have the keys and uppercase. Oops, I do. (I do have a sticky keyboard, so sometimes I have too many or even missing characters...)

I'll purchase a license. I've long believed in Serif as a great group of people who love their jobs and have made mine easier in the past decade or so. Footnotes/endnotes will arrive.

However, for myself there are work-flow / capabilities other than footnotes that will keep me from using APub much, even for a novel. To me, even a novel is a labor of love in APub. (And I have laid a couple out in APub as a side test while using something else to do the actual work.) For me it is mostly about all the other publication types I do that will prevent me from day-to-day adoption. I do a lot of data sheets, short magazines/newsletters, etc., that I cannot use my work-flow to produce in APub.

• Staff
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:10 PM, Loader said:

I will s.. what w. can do

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Now that we have received an offer to buy the final version of Publisher the question of footnotes rears its head again.  I, with many others, need this facility for academic type books, etc.  Could the development team please answer this query/request?  Linked with this request are the functions of 'Book Plus'.  Are these going to replicated?  If the answer is no, then I would haveto stick with 'Page Plus' or look for alternative software, but I would really like to use AP as I wish to migrate to Apple, and use the full suite of Affinity products, which are excellent.

I completely agree with Kirtonm on this. Without the ability to produce individual book chapters with footnotes and the combine them into a book as could be done in Bookplus, then purchasing version 1 of AP is hard to justify. Yes the look and feel is great but without the essential tools to produce print ready files for books which include everything expected by academic publishers is disappointing.

It was ID 2 (not CS2 later on) when the book feature became available, 3 years after the first release.

It was ID CS2 when footnotes became available, 6 years after the first release.

In both cases, I doubt Serif will take half as long (i.e., a year or two max) before these two functions are available.

We'll find out if either of these features will be in the 1.x development cycle once the roadmap is published.

12 minutes ago, BillF said:

[...]Without the ability to produce individual book chapters with footnotes and the combine them into a book[...]

Just relax. Maybe in these two weeks they are working on it. :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

26 minutes ago, MikeW said:

It was ID 2 (not CS2 later on) when the book feature became available, 3 years after the first release.

It was ID CS2 when footnotes became available, 6 years after the first release.

In both cases, I doubt Serif will take half as long (i.e., a year or two max) before these two functions are available.

Thank you for this perspective. Not having experience that far back myself, I was wondering how the first InDesign compared to Publisher's first go.

As for the future, I am not so sure about the book feature, as I haven't seen any evidence (unless I have forgotten) that Serif has yet recognized that it is even needed. Footnotes, on the other hand, I am all but certain they will be added at some point. Of all the missing features, that seems to be the one that sticks out the most. Now that's debatable (and it is not even my top wish either, so have your own opinion), but my point is that I do think it is likely to be added because of high demand and its being a core feature (as opposed to fringe feature, or something like IDML import, which is highly needed, but is a complicated migration issue).

2 minutes ago, Peter Kahrel said:

That's true. But in InDesign you could do footnotes 'manually' because you could script them.

Yes. ID supported plain-text AppleScript and VBA (Mac/Windows respectively) from the start. JavaScript came with the first CS (v.3.0, 4 years after initial release).