You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Release Image Frames from Master

6 hours ago, MikeW said:

R C-R, every layout application I have used over the years I have been doing layout work (that I can recall) has had such a capability from day one. It's not a novel thing. If Serif would have wanted to make these couple things (master pages, primary text frames) as per other layout applications they would have done so. Instead, Serif has chosen a novel approach that is not conducive to a work environment for books, manuals and the like.

We've not so much chosen a novel approach as ignored the interaction between text flow and master pages completely. For us this was the safe option, as it gives us free reign when we do implement it. We had some experience with promoting master page objects in PagePlus, and we weren't entirely happy with it, so we intend to take some time to do a better job in Publisher. For example, we want a solution that also works for picture frames on master pages. Meanwhile, we do appreciate feedback. I can't say whether this will be addressed before final release, but we're more open to fixing what we've done than we are to adding whole new things.

6 hours ago, MikeW said:

Heck, even the automatic text flow is busted if one has asymmetrical or mirrored margins. This isn't a good thing. Now, I suspect this latter snafu will be worked out by release. At least I certainly hope so.

Yes, that was an oversight which I believe is already corrected in our code and will be included in next week's beta.

2 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

... and will be included in next week's beta.

!!! Breaking news?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

!!! Breaking news?

We customarily aim for a new beta every week for a while. If we've fixed a bug, the sooner we get the fix out the better. It does mean the product is going to be unstable; we aim for it to get ever better with each new beta, but sometimes there may be regressions or new bugs introduced. That's the risk you take with beta tests.

I hadn't addresses promotion of master page objects. Rarely does one promote a primary text frame.

Some people do promote say header or footer frames in order to delete them from front matter or chapter pages. I myself create multiple masters to handle it.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.