You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Right to Left Support for Hebrew and Arabic

On 11/21/2018 at 10:38 PM, MEB said:

Hi TalSh,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We already replied to this question quite a few times on these forums. We do hope to add right-to-left support, but it won't be any time soon. If you do a search for RTL you will find quite a few threads discussing this subject..

There may be resistance to support RTL because of Hebrew, and other languages using RTL suffer because of it. Hebrew was the original language given by Elohim (GOD) our Creator and Maker, that is until the tower of Babel when the people did not scatter, so Elohim gave them different languages which made them scatter of course.

If someone hates Elohim, like many Atheists, they will try to remove anything that may point to or give credit to the Creator. The Affinity Team is not without abilities as we see how amazing their products are. We each can decide to run our business as we like, but I would like to chime in this thought, that maybe there is a moral reason of this rejection of RTL because it connects with the people of Elohim.

The bible says that the end time is near and the love of many will grow cold; the love of יהוה (Yahuah) [THE LORD] is growing cold. Today people say they know Elohim (GOD), but they don't keep His commandments. Many people go to church, but they don't know Him. Messiah יהושע said "If you love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15.. "If you wish to enter into eternal life, Keep My commandments," Mat 19:17.

I hope that Affinity will change their mind about RTL, but more important, we pray people will change their mind about Elohim (GOD) and start keeping His commands so that they will be granted access to the tree of life in Messiah יהושע (Yahusha).

I will use the Affinity Publisher and try to help with little bugs that might make their product better.

May יהוה (Yahuah) be with us.

7 hours ago, Jordan Ann Peterson said:

If someone hates Elohim, like many Atheists, they will try to remove anything that may point to or give credit to the Creator. ..., that maybe there is a moral reason of this rejection of RTL because it connects with the people of Elohim.

Hi, welcome to the forum. The reason we don't have right-to-left support yet is because it's hard and will take a long time to implement (whilst also working on other features and bug fixes). There is no conspiracy here.

• 4 months later...
On 11/26/2018 at 12:40 AM, Jordan Ann Peterson said:

Hebrew was the original language given by Elohim (GOD) our Creator and Maker, that is until the tower of Babel when the people did not scatter, so Elohim gave them different languages which made them scatter of course.

I've never seen evidence of that... I don't think anyone today knows what the original language was.  It may be that ALL of the languages changed and the original one has been long since forgotten.  A bit off topic for this forum, however.

On 11/26/2018 at 12:40 AM, Jordan Ann Peterson said:

that maybe there is a moral reason of this rejection of RTL because it connects with the people of Elohim.

This is kind of silly when you realize that several of the countries which are at war with or have been hostile toward Israel also have native languages which are right-to-left: Arabic is used for several of Egypt's languages and that is right-to-left; Arabic itself is the main language in Syria and is also commonly spoken in Palestine...

On 11/26/2018 at 8:38 AM, Mark Ingram said:

we don't have right-to-left support yet

Don't forget top-to-bottom while you are at it.  Several languages are traditionally written that way.  Evidently there was at least one that was bottom-to-top as well, but that seems to be rather obscure by now.

On 11/26/2018 at 5:40 AM, Jordan Ann Peterson said:

If someone hates Elohim, like many Atheists, they will try to remove anything that may point to or give credit to the Creator.

Get a life.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

On 11/26/2018 at 5:40 AM, Jordan Ann Peterson said:

Hebrew was the original language

46 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I've never seen evidence of that

Aramaic is older than Hebrew.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

@sagism

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums and thanks for your input to this request.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...

I also need RTL support and have been waiting for it for years. I can't use Affinity products professionally, no matter how much I love them, without the ability to use Arabic or Hebrew text.  At the very least, a work around would be appreciated, or an updated timetable. I'd like to purchase Publisher, but if I'll have to wait years for RTL support then I won't have a use for it.

Hi all!

I'm new to affinity, just downloaded the trial for Designer and Publisher, and i'm really impressed, it's AMAZING! i'm ready to stop my Adobe subscription right now, and to purchase the affinity tools to get my work done :)

But... RTL support is a must for my work. so unfortunately i will have to wait :(

Looking forward!

Edited by barbn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
8 hours ago, ZaraJoon said:

Any update?

Chances are there will not be until it shows up in a beta.  The 1.8 betas are known to be late in their development cycle and this has not shown up, so chances are it won't be happening in the 1.8 releases.  That is as much as anyone outside of Serif is going to be able to tell you, and Serif probably won't tell you any more either until they are ready to release it.

12 hours ago, ZaraJoon said:

Hey, Any update? the R-to-L is not something postponing for last. It is a MUST feature for many people!

Possibly for the time being this workaround can help in cases of a MUST ...

http://www.arabic-keyboard.org/photoshop-arabic/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

10 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Possibly for the time being this workaround can help in cases of a MUST ...

http://www.arabic-keyboard.org/photoshop-arabic/

There’s also this site: http://arabic-text.com

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There’s also this site: http://arabic-text.com

These don't solve the issue as APUB will display the text LTR even though you can switch to an Arabic font. I am currently working on a book (Bi-lingual, Farsi - English) and was unable to use APUB and since I did not want to pay for Adobe, ended up producing it in MS Publisher and it is a pain in the neck since PagePlus also does not support RTL....

So Support for RTL is a MUST if this product is to be successful IMHO.

35 minutes ago, tyu said:

They are all BAD ideas, it works only for the first line of text. 

To me this seems to affect more than 1 line only:

960950733_RTLsampletest.jpg.862a65839a80f001f8a987a30d74a43a.jpg

.txet fo enil tsrif eht rof ylno skrow ti ,saedi DAB lla era yehT

oga setunim 33 detsoP

tsop tropeR    

stsop 6    
srebmeM    
uyt    
eibweN    

uyt
)2 riA daPi( 3.31 SOdaPi • 1.3.7.1 daPi rof rengiseD • 551.3.7.1 daPi rof otohP ytiniffA
)UPC 3i eroC neg ht4( emoH 01 swodniW • 184.3.7.1 rehsilbuP/otohP/rengiseD ytiniffA
fig.gnol2enilno derflA

etouQ    

ekiL
siht ot detcaer ronnoC kcirtaP

1 sknahT    

moc.txet-cibara//:ptth :etis siht osla s’erehT

/cibara-pohsotohp/gro.draobyek-cibara.www//:ptth    

... TSUM a fo sesac ni pleh nac dnuorakrow siht gnieb emit eht rof ylbissoP    

:ph34r:

Thank you, everyone. Those links work and not work. But they are helpful (I attached the screenshot). I asked Affinity about this in Twitter and this is their response: "These will require a major rewrite of the code base so at the moment there are no plans to introduce right to left text support but we may introduce this in the future." and when I asked why this feature has a low priority, they said: "It's a complex feature to add to our apps but it's on our developers todo list for the future. When we have an update, we'll let everyone know." So, I don't think they will add this feature soon. I switched from Adobe to Affinity in 2016 and it's a little sad to see they still keep us waiting. I hope they add it soon!

Here is the link: 

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 8.48.01 PM.png

6 minutes ago, tyu said:

Did you try to paste it into Affinity with 2 lines of text?

Tried with a bunch of lines, works anywhere, in APub, too. Is simply a copy/paste action of unformatted text.

829461326_LTRpaste.jpg.fb1c5c6e50e2828e98bf47a10a1ff52c.jpg

On 6/4/2019 at 9:15 AM, pointery said:

Hi all!

I'm new to affinity, just downloaded the trial for Designer and Publisher, and i'm really impressed, it's AMAZING! i'm ready to stop my Adobe subscription right now, and to purchase the affinity tools to get my work done :)

But... RTL support is a must for my work. so unfortunately i will have to wait :(

Looking forward!

I downloaded the trial for Publisher as well and have only good words to say. However, I've reconsidered purchasing it ONLY because of the lack of RTL support. Many have suggested simple fixes that won't require major code rewriting. I really really hope you will look into fixing this by the next update.