You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Implemented] Hyperlinks for Affinity Publisher

11 hours ago, GreatSouthernBear said:

Boy am I glad the Links are being worked on now!  Took a chance and ditched and my QuarkXpress and Acrobat Pro DC to work with this wonderful new software. Inasmuch as I am nearly 70 and big time retired I do not have a business to worry about. Still, I do work on reproducing16th-18th century English texts with links to sources etc for fellow scholars. They DO want the links.:)

Wow, fantastic, @GreatSouthernBear! Nice work! Must be really interesting. I cut my DTP teeth on QuarkXpress on big Macs in the 90s.. memories!

• 2 weeks later...

STUDIO PANE/PANEL FOR HYPERLINKS

Just started working with the new hyperlinks in beta 238 and am very appreciative that this critical feature has been added prior to release. However, it would be GREAT if there were a Studio Pane/Panel listing all hyperlinks in the doc with a couple functions. One would be to be able to click on a listed link/url within the pane and see where in the document it was being used. Another function would be to allow editing of a link/url so that if it is being used in several locations, it could be easily updated/modified with a single edit.

NAMES FOR HYPERLINKS

It would also be nice if links could be named, thereby allowing the use of that named link/url in multiple locations. It would also allow identifying a url's "content" or purpose a little easier, which would be very important where certain urls are used in a document multiple times and through several upgrades/modifications/updates. 

CONTEXTUAL MENU ACCESS

Be really handy to be able to add/edit/remove a link with a contextual menu item.

Thanks again for adding this needed feature!

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

3 minutes ago, nwhit said:

STUDIO PANE/PANEL FOR HYPERLINKS

Just started working with the new hyperlinks in beta 238 and am very appreciative that this critical feature has been added prior to release. However, it would be GREAT if there were a Studio Pane/Panel listing all hyperlinks in the doc with a couple functions. One would be to be able to click on a listed link/url within the pane and see where in the document it was being used. Another function would be to allow editing of a link/url so that if it is being used in several locations, it could be easily updated/modified with a single edit.

NAMES FOR HYPERLINKS

It would also be nice if links could be named, thereby allowing the use of that named link/url in multiple locations. It would also allow identifying a url's "content" or purpose a little easier, which would be very important where certain urls are used in a document multiple times and through several upgrades/modifications/updates. 

Thanks again for adding this needed feature!

There is a studio panel for hyperlinks: View > Studio > Hyperlinks. It does list all hyperlinks, and you can select a hyperlink and use the "go to target" icon at the bottom of the panel to go there: image.png.f804a72be93e10252bada12ec094e4b5.png

You can also use the other icon ("go to source") to go back.

There does not seem to be a way (yet?) to edit hyperlinks, either individually in the text or via the panel.

There are no names for hyperlinks (and I'm not sure I see how that would work), but anchors are named, and you can create multiple hyperlinks pointing to the same named anchor. It does not seem to be possible (yet?) to move an anchor from one place to another, or to remove the anchor attribute associated with a piece of text without deleting and readding the text.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There does not seem to be a way (yet?) to edit hyperlinks, either individually in the text or via the panel.

Double-click on the entry in the panel.

The biggest things I am missing are that if you copy text that has a hyperlink and paste it, the link does not seem to be applied to the duplicate (pasted) text, and pasting in text containing hyperlinks from outside sources does not seem to retain them either.

Also you cannot seem to apply a hyperlink to multiple pieces of text or objects.

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There are no names for hyperlinks (and I'm not sure I see how that would work)

Taking QuarkXPress for example, you create a hyperlink in the Hyperlinks panel (their version of Affinity's Hyperlinks studio panel) first, giving it a name, then select something and pick the link in the panel to assign the link.  You can assign the same link to multiple items that way - and I definitely prefer this to the way Affinity *currently* behaves:

I could live with what Affinity is doing much more easily if they got copy/paste working, but an option to apply the same link to multiple items (so that editing the link in one place applied to all of them) would definitely be preferable.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

I could live with what Affinity is doing much more easily if they got copy/paste working, but an option to apply the same link to multiple items (so that editing the link in one place applied to all of them) would definitely be preferable.

Thanks for the hint on double-clicking the entry in the Hyperlinks panel to edit it. I was sure I'd tried that, but perhaps not.

Affinity's approach could work acceptably, I think, for links internal to the document. For those, if they were to get it working, you could just delete the anchor and create a same-named anchor somewhere else that all the links would then point to. That does not work well right now, though.

• First, I think you have to remember what you named the anchor, as there seems to be no way to display the anchor information, nor to change it. You seem to have to physically delete the anchored text, and retype it.
  • Next, once you delete/retype the text, and make something else the anchor (if you remember the name), you have to relink each hyperlink that pointed to it individually. Publisher doesn't relink all of them if you readjust one of them.

And, of course, that approach doesn't work for links that go external to the document.

All those problems (internal, external) with changing an anchors location could be resolved with an Anchors panel, I think.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

As of now there is no Mac version update yet that has this feature.

Yes, there is. It was released with the Windows version.

-- Walt
PC:

PROGRESS! Yes, had to reset the Studio in order to get the Studio Pane to open.

Link Names – Well, sort of works in that in the pane you can single click the listed link and change it to a descriptive name, being careful to NOT double-click, which opens up the link dialog box. But it does not look like you can reuse/assign a link elsewhere. Really would be nice to have that ability with urls since many of a document's links go to the same url. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

6 hours ago, fde101 said:

Taking QuarkXPress for example, you create a hyperlink in the Hyperlinks panel (their version of Affinity's Hyperlinks studio panel) first, giving it a name, then select something and pick the link in the panel to assign the link.  You can assign the same link to multiple items that way - and I definitely prefer this to the way Affinity *currently* behaves:

This seems like it could be done with the now existing Studio panel without too much trouble. Let us add a link Name in the panel, then edit/add the actual link/url, then have a button to apply that selected link to a selected graphic or text. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

1 hour ago, nwhit said:

Well, sort of works in that in the pane you can single click the listed link and change it to a descriptive name, being careful to NOT double-click,

Interesting. I had tried single-clicking, but had not gotten it to work.

The trick is: First, single-click the entry to select it. Second, wait a bit (if you don't wait long enough, the next click will pull up the edit dialog. Third, click on the text of the highlighted entry (not elsewhere on the blue bar), and it allows a rename.

-- Walt
PC:

Looking forward to seeing a Hyperlinks panel in AP. It's a must, guys! Thanks for all your great work so far, I'm loving this program.

MacBook Pro 15" 32GB RAM, iPad Pro 12.9" + Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil.  Software tools of my trade: Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | PDF Expert | Drafts | The Archive | Plutio  

https://eandrpublications.com.au

Just now, Mr. K said:

I have it now, but it did not show as an update when I clicked "Check for Updates."

They are almost always released via the forum first, and are put on auto-update sometime later (hours, possibly days). If you want them as early as possible you need to check the beta forum for your OS.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

I have successfully added a few hyperlinks, but I see nothing when I try to View/Studio/Hyperlinks. No window or tab opens. This is on my Mac

Others have reported having to do a Ctrl runup to get that studio panel to appear (hold ctrl/cmd as appropriate, restart Publisher, release Ctrl/cmd and click Reset when the dialog appears). But first, you might try View > Studio > Reset Studio to see if that helps.

-- Walt
PC:

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Others have reported having to do a Ctrl runup to get that studio panel to appear (hold ctrl/cmd as appropriate, restart Publisher, release Ctrl/cmd and click Reset when the dialog appears). But first, you might try View > Studio > Reset Studio to see if that helps.

View > Studio > Reset Studio did the trick. Thanks.

The new downloads are always posted in a pinned topic at the top of the bug forum. So, for Windows, you would look in https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/58-report-bugs-in-publisher-beta-on-windows/

It will be near the top.

-- Walt
PC:

Another "dumb as a post question." I downloaded version 238. Opened up my test publication. Using the text frame tool, selected a block of text; clicked on text, interactive, insert hyperlink. In the dialog box selected url, inserted the url in the address box and selected hyperlink format.

Returned to the document and the selected text is in blue, and underlined, as one would expect, but when I hover over the text in select mode, I get no indication that I can click on the text to open the hyperlink. Naturally, if I export the file as a pdf, there is no hyperlink exported. (Of course it wouldn't if AP doesn't recognize a hyperlink exists.)

What am I doing wrong?

test.afpub

25 minutes ago, lgoodwin said:

Another "dumb as a post question." I downloaded version 238. Opened up my test publication. Using the text frame tool, selected a block of text; clicked on text, interactive, insert hyperlink. In the dialog box selected url, inserted the url in the address box and selected hyperlink format.

Returned to the document and the selected text is in blue, and underlined, as one would expect, but when I hover over the text in select mode, I get no indication that I can click on the text to open the hyperlink. Naturally, if I export the file as a pdf, there is no hyperlink exported. (Of course it wouldn't if AP doesn't recognize a hyperlink exists.)

What am I doing wrong?

test.afpub

Be sure when you export that you open the More dialog and select to export hyperlinks. Works fine for me.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

27 minutes ago, lgoodwin said:

I get no indication that I can click on the text to open the hyperlink

I don't believe you can within Publisher itself.

27 minutes ago, lgoodwin said:

Naturally, if I export the file as a pdf, there is no hyperlink exported.

Some PDF formats do not support hyperlinks - not just from Affinity, but at all.  Some of the PDF presets will export them and others will not.