You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fireworks Import - The Elusive Holy Grail Feature

I know this would be huge among the web designer community, but I also know it would be tough since it would probably need to be reverse engineered somehow... but if a Fireworks import was supported.... dang. This app would be THE design app for all the former Fireworks users who were recently screwed by Adobe.

Thoughts?

• 9 months later...

From what I understand, Fireworks was created by the same team that coded Freehand. So that makes them "sister" applications. Does that mean we still have to go to the end of the line?  ;-)

Seriously, though. Both programs were well-liked due to their excellent, intuitive UX. I've purchased a copy of Affinity Designer and I will be diving in. I hope to see the Affinity programs continue to emphasize intuitive user experiences while they bring in the features that users have loved with other programs.

• Staff

:P vandammage. Nice try! 

Macromedia acquired Freehand from Altsys/Aldus earlier and continued its development along with Flash and Fireworks. All of them ended up under Adobe's control. The rest is well known...

Fireworks PNG import was already requested a few times and if i remember correctly, one of the developers (don't remember who) was pondering taking a look at this. So who knows...

Welcome to Affinity Forums @vandammage  :D

• Staff

I've asked a few different times for people who want this feature to send some sample files to support@seriflabs.com so we can look at them - we're definitely up for the challenge of reading the files but we need to see some real world examples to make sure we're able to read the important bits of the file structure first :)

Hey MEB, I didn't mean to imply that it was the original coders of Freehand that worked on Fireworks, only that it was the team that was working on it under Macromedia's watch. (At least that's what Macromedia said at the event when they unveiled Fireworks. More here: http://ow.ly/OoLIq  ) You can see a lot of similarity in the functionality and the shortcuts. I used Freehand before it was purchased by Macromedia, so I'm aware that it was not Macromedia's creation, whereas Fireworks was. And yes, we know what sadly happens to most Adobe acquisitions. :-(

I'd be happy to send some Fireworks PNG files over. I create multi-page files when I comp up online advertising. It's fantastic in that I can use the page up or page down keys to thumb through the file in order to see how the animation unfolds. I also love the fact that you can copy/paste elements from one page to the next and they are perfectly aligned.

I'll send some files over shortly.

• Staff

Hi vandammage,

Just to make this clear: the nice try bit was in reply to your question Does that mean we still have to go to the end of the line?  ;-).

Then i added some info regarding Macromedia Fireworks/Freehand.

Now that i've read my reply again, i see that the order (although in separated paragraphs) i've said it looks like i was poking fun at your comment about Fireworks/Freehand. That wasn't my intention. Please accept my apologies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi Marlou,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer doesn't support layered Fireworks PNG files. Fireworks saves additional data to PNG files such as layers, objects attributes, effects etc in a proprietary format that was never made public. As such those PNG's can only be interpreted/used as flattened images by third party apps. If you still have access to Fireworks you may try to export the file as a PSD and import it into Affinity. It should may keep some elements editable (as well as layers structure). Check Ben's post on this thread for more info.