You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

44 minutes ago, Hank_Scorpio said:

Also, the use of strong, emphasis, these are web words - better to have Bold, Italics etc. better for typographical references especially for print docs. 

The point of character styles is that they can change. For example, you might want to emphasise with colour instead of italics.

2 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

The point of character styles is that they can change. For example, you might want to emphasise with colour instead of italics.

Ah right - didn't realise these were related to text styles!

Suggest the text styles be named Italics, Bold, Bold Italic - instead. They are very web defined names. 

Cool text styles loaded by default - didn't notice. 

Can these be removed before starting a new doc?

• 1 year later...

It would be nice too, to have possibility to omit the first character if it is an interpunction symbol.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

On 10/13/2019 at 10:45 PM, NightSky said:

Please, please, pretty please: we really need to be able to specify the number of characters that has to be used as drop caps.

This will be in 1.8, and the next beta.

Petar, can you give an example? If a line begins

"The,

I think it would look weird if the opening quote was not the same size as the T.

On 9/1/2018 at 10:15 AM, Wosven said:

And I think the default drop caps size is too short, it needs to begin at same level as "l" or highter character of the font

That depends on font design but I agree drop cap should not line with x-height but cap height. There is a wonderful tick in drop cap style "Align left edge" so there should be "Align to cap height" too.

5 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

This will be in 1.8, and the next beta.

Petar, can you give an example? If a line begins

"The,

I think it would look weird if the opening quote was not the same size as the T.

Opening quote wouldn't be so noticable in such a case. And together with a hanging interpunction (in the future) marks it could be really great.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2019 at 10:41 PM, fitzj said:

Drop Capitals like they do in Indesign Please.  Create fancy designs around the Drop Capital.

This is not a Drop cap. It is inline graphic.

It would be nice if the text wraps at the right side of the curved Drop cap.

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

This is not a Drop cap. It is inline graphic.

It would be nice if the text wraps at the right side of the curved Drop cap.

In InDesign is it both an inline graphic and a drop cap. I just tried in in Publisher, and it didn't work as well as I expected. The image gets sized and positioned correctly, but the next character gets drop-capped as well. You can avoid this in the 1.8 beta by setting the character count to 1. I'll tweak it so that using the auto character count only affects the image. Either way, I think the feature is better than in InDesign because the image scales automatically. This means you can change the number of lines dropped in a text style, and it will update the images in all the paragraphs that use the style.

You can achieve a similar result by using a floating graphic that wraps to largest side, but that's not as texty.

I've attached a document that shows both techniques.

PinDropCap.afpub

8 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

You can achieve a similar result by using a floating graphic that wraps to largest side, but that's not as texty.

Thanks Dave,

Unfortunately all this only works if you create a text frame on the ordinary page. If you want to attach anything to the text frame created on master pages Publisher crashes immediately (the latest beta). Click on float with text then unklick it and publisher will crash immediately. This will also happen if you click on Inline in Text.

This has been a long standing problem for Publisher. I mean text frames created in master pages and how they interact with objects created on ordinary pages.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

On 12/5/2019 at 7:25 PM, Seneca said:

Thanks Dave,

Unfortunately all this only works if you create a text frame on the ordinary page. If you want to attach anything to the text frame created on master pages Publisher crashes immediately (the latest beta). Click on float with text then unklick it and publisher will crash immediately. This will also happen if you click on Inline in Text.

This has been a long standing problem for Publisher. I mean text frames created in master pages and how they interact with objects created on ordinary pages.

1.7.3 has a lot of problems in that area. 1.8.0.518 should be a lot better. I just tried with a new blank document and it seemed OK. Do you have a more detailed recipe?

10 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

Do you have a more detailed recipe?

Hello Dave,

Here is a short video demonstrating the problem. You can't attach anything to the text frames coming from master pages whether it is a graphic element or another text box.

This is on the latest Publisher beta.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

39 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Here is a short video demonstrating the problem.

I don't see that behaviour at all. No trouble with using images or shapes here. I didn't have any trouble with pinned images as drop caps or as just images.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I don't see that behaviour at all.

Thanks @Old Bruce, maybe I should reset my Publisher installation to see whether that will make any difference.