You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would like to create a document with automatic page numbering that also shows the total number of pages. While I can see how to add an automatic page number to a document, I have not found a way to add something like " Page 1 of 7"...

Am I missing something or does this feature not exist? It it does not exist, would it be possible to add it?

• Staff

@Steve2

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

The addition of a field for the total number pages (for the "of Y" bit)  is currently unimplemented, sorry. I do not see why this cannot be added, thanks for the suggestion.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

I have been told I am wrong on this

In the 'View' menu check that 'Studio' > 'Fields' is checked so the Fields studio is showing. You can insert any "Field" into your text by double clicking on the label, so to get what you wanted

1. Type "Page "
  2. on the Fields Studio scroll to the Document section and Double Click the label "Page Number" (mouse over the words "Page Number" not the <Page Numbers> text)
  3. then type "of " and
  4. then Double Click the label "Page Count" (mouse over the words "Page Count" not the <Section Page Count> text)

You will end up with "Page 1 of N"

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Chiefsub68 said:

This is confusing. If you're stumped see the easy way to do this at https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/286544585/

That video only shows you how to insert the current page number, not the page count.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Gosia said:

Hi, does any one knows if there is a possibility to delete an vertical line that appears before the page number? I tried to do it, but it wasn't possibile to remove nor to change the colour of it.

I've never seen a vertical line like that. Can you show us a screenshot, and possibly include a sample .afpub file that shows it?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, Patrick Connor said:

In the 'View' menu check that 'Studio' > 'Fields' is checked so the Fields studio is showing. You can insert any "Field" into your text by double clicking on the label, so to get what you wanted

1. Type "Page "
  2. on the Fields Studio scroll to the Document section and Double Click the label "Page Number" (mouse over the words "Page Number" not the <Page Numbers> text)
  3. then type "of " and
  4. then Double Click the label "Page Count" (mouse over the words "Page Count" not the <Section Page Count> text)

the points 3 and 4 are the good it works but even without this, I would be very happy about an answer

greets from germany

On 11/15/2018 at 10:35 AM, Gosia said:

It looks like that:

384125523_Masterpage-Aff.jpg.1f8e1c6a74f5343ebc0e4d10f2d2470f.jpg

I thougt is some kind of numbering style, but no.

It looks like some sort of Text Decoration from a Paragraph Style. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 6 months later...

I remain confused by the correct method to automatically page number. I produce a professional association's newsletter. In InDesign, it has always been set-up as a horizontal A3 page that then gives me four A4 pages when folded. In ID I have set the page numbers on the Master to correctly reflect the number of the folded A4 page - but I'm darned if I can get the same page-numbering set-up on my Affinity Publisher layout. All my attempts on an A3 spread end up with the first A3 side numbered 1 and 2 - whereas I actually want to show 1 and 4, then with the second side showing 2 and 3...

I can correctly sequentially number in a four-page A4 layout (thanks to the advice above) but that does not give me the press-ready PDF output that I need. Help please!! (I need a 'Killer Tips' book or 'For Dummies' to go back to school on this...)

Hi @Automac, welcome to the forums!

If the final output media will be A3 size, then each "design" page will be A4 (half of an A3 paper).  Create the document in facing pages mode with an A4 page size and design the pages as they are to be displayed to the reader when folded.  Make sure the page count is a multiple of four.

When producing a PDF, if you need to meet "proper" standards for printing (as is usually the case when working with an outside print vendor), Affinity Publisher does not currently have an option for doing the imposition internally (re-ordering the pages into print order), but most outside printers don't want you to do that for them - they want the "design" order PDF and they do the imposition.  If this is the case, use File/Export, choose PDF and the appropriate preset, and make sure the "Area" is set to "All Pages" rather than "All Spreads".

If you need "proper" PDF standards and need to do the imposition yourself, unfortunately that is not currently available in Affinity Publisher, so you will need 3rd-party imposition software to accomplish that.

In situations where those standards are less important (printing internally in many cases), you can export the imposed PDF from Publisher using the options in the Print dialog (for Windows you will need to have a PDF printer installed).  To do this, use File/Print, set the Model to "Book" or "Booklet" as appropriate (the Model setting is under the "Document Layout" section in the Mac print window, it might be different if you are on Windows), and export a PDF from there as appropriate for your platform (the option is under the "PDF" popup in the lower-left corner of the Mac print dialog; for Windows I believe you would need to select the PDF "printer" and print to it).

Given that the imposition options are available when printing, I think it is a logical next step to have them added when exporting PDF files as well, but currently those options have not made their way across.  I am hoping that gets resolved within the next few updates to Publisher.

• 7 months later...
On 8/31/2018 at 10:47 PM, Patrick Connor said:

1. Type "Page "
  3. then type "of " and

Any chance this could go in the page number section of the Help file. Took a little while to find this info

Thanks

• Staff

@Paradise33 it is explicitly mentioned in the Fields page of the help but not also on the Fields panel page

To insert a field:
  1. On the Fields panel, expand a field section, e.g. Document Information.
  2. Double-click on a field while there is an active text selection or while the text caret is active.

@acapstick

The Fields section of the help describes functionality on the Fields panel. 

Please can the Fields panel section of the help also mention this "To insert a field" double click (and drag-drop) functionality of Field Panel labels, or just say

To insert a field displayed on this panel into your document text see Fields

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

it is explicitly mentioned in the Fields page of the help but not also on the Fields panel page

Perhaps, but it is also not obvious where to look for this if you are looking at this page in the help:

https://affinity.help/publisher/en-US.lproj/pages/Pages/numberingPages.html

I would suggest that after the sentence "For more advanced users, page numbers..." there should be something to the effect of "You can also add a field representing the total number of pages from that panel."

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, oneearth said:

Is it possible to start numbers other than first page AND have pages before first numbered page not have numbers. It seems the "section manager" forces numbers in all sections.

Use a master page with a page number field on those pages you wish to have page numbers. Have an introduction Master for the first few pages then a regular Master with page number field for the rest of the book. Start the section with Page 1 for the regular pages.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.