You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

fading edges (all 4) for an image.

I am trying to create a transparent edge to an image on all four sides, ideally the same width of transparence for all four sides.
What is the best looking way to achieve this?

I've found a description from another member on another post but that just won't do it, didn't work or, well, I couldn't  do it.

If you explain, please consider I'm a noob and provide step by step instructions.  Or some quick "Loom" screen capture / video would be awesome too.

Help is much appreciated!

Thierry

• Staff

Hi Zitemedia,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you try the steps found in the below forum thread and let me know if those work for you?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hello Callum, thx for your reply.  I've tried several of them and came closest to what I want with drawing rectangle, dragging rectangle layer over image thumbnail to make it a mask, apply Gaussian Blur FX set to 100% to obtain most smooth edges.  But.. I discovered I had to duplicate the mask layer at least 5 times to make sure the edges were really transparent, which makes me feel I'm doing something wrong.  Could you perhaps help me out?

4 hours ago, zitemedia said:

I've found a description from another member on another post but that just won't do it, didn't work or, well, I couldn't  do it.

It would help if you could provide a link to the post in question, together with an indication of where you got stuck when you tried to follow the steps described.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

actually you can see HERE that the result I've obtained is still not as it should be, even after duplicating the Mask layer like 5 times!  Edges are still visible and the fading effect is way to present in the image.  I just can't find a way to tweak this as it should. ( I'm talking about that container image.)

Just now, αℓƒяє∂ said:

It would help if you could provide a link to the post in question, together with an indication of where you got stuck when you tried to follow the steps described.

I'm referring to the post that Callum sent me to in his answer to my O.P.   

And I've tried the solution posted by -S-

On 8/31/2018 at 3:55 PM, zitemedia said:

I just can't find a way to tweak this as it should. ( I'm talking about that container image.)

I think you're being rather hard on yourself! That image looks OK to me.

You're always going to have to strike a balance between the edges being visible and the fading effect being too strong.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)