You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A. Designer - how can I create a correct align for numbers in a calendar?

Good morning  to everyone. I need create a calendar with numbers and initial letters to realize a calendar. Their position should be with numbers above and days down insert in two lines. Now the problems is that the initial letters are not able to align correct with numbers. If infact I write in the frist line the numbers and then in the second line the letters, these last lost alignment with numbers. Any suggestions? I don’t want create every block of day and numbers manually...

Hello GT70,

You can type for example 01 and lun at a time (with a line break and all aligned in the center).
For one week, copy and paste the text on itself 6 times to get the 7 days. Select the set and space the text blocks with the "Align" tool. Change the numbers and days in the different blocks. 
You can then duplicate the week (in the same way as for the first text block) to position them. Select the set and adjust the baseline to define the vertical spacing between the numbers and letters of the days.

Calendrier.png

Hi GT70,

There are 2 separate problems with what you want to do.  Designer can only handle 1 of them. religico outlines the layout routines.

The hard problem is creating a set of data pairs that group the 7 days of the week names with the monthly day values. From what you have posted, you want to do this for a whole year, which adds another layer of complexity.

I've used a database to do something like that, and understand that the limited database functions of a spreadsheet would do the same. But once that has been done for a full 7 years for a complete repeating weekly cycle, about 2500 pairs, one would still need to get the data into a graphic format. Designer has no way to accept that, other than really limited copy and paste text

Here is my suggestion. Create some asset categories. Days of the week. Days of the month as number shapes. Then you will only need to drag and drop the assets onto a grid of 7 x 5 columns and rows, repeat w. small adjustment 12 times. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

18 minutes ago, gdenby said:

But once that has been done for a full 7 years for a complete repeating weekly cycle, about 2500 pairs, one would still need to get the data into a graphic format.

It’s worse than that! Thanks to the effect of leap years, a complete cycle is 28 years.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank very much to all...I believe that the Reglico method is more intuitive for me.

I don't understand very well english dear gdenby and I have several difficult to understand mean of your suggestion. Then my Affinity Designer is in italian languagge so I don't know, for example, if you "call" some tool that I am not able to find because in italian have another name... :(

You speak about widget and grid? You want tell me that Designer have a GRID TOOL? If it is so, then the problem i very esay to solve. With grid should be easy create a calendar with days and dates...

Hello, again, GT70,

I'm sure your English is better than my Italian.

Attached, a picture showing a document w. a grid, and the grid and axis manager dialogue used to create it.

CalGrid.jpg.6c8b2fd95e43bacd810e6b6f8d40bfe6.jpg

"Snapping" is turned on, so the objects can easily align w. the grid.

Snapping.jpg.e2ddbadb3d76db9d1aff19cfabf43f7e.jpg

I made some "assets," although it was not completely necessary. All of the text objects could just as well have been made on the document, and duplicated as needed.

I also made a rectangle to hold the data pairs, and power duplicated it 7 times.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

19 minutes ago, gdenby said:

I'm sure your English is better than my Italian.

Same here!

Attached, a picture showing a document w. a grid, and the grid and axis manager dialogue used to create it.

From the Italian user interface: 'Visualizza > Mostra griglia' and 'Visualizza > Gestione griglia e asse...'

AD_Griglia-e-asse.png.cfe7ea8644e8b88fabdaf54f9f7bd35c.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Another interesting way is to use APub bêta to work with your text before exporting as SVG or PDF and importing in AD.

To notice: if a layer use transparency, it will export as image, better use a tint or lighter color for your fonts. The decorative yellow stroke export as vector too!

(SVG: bug with tabbed text position).

2018-09-01_164904.png.0d34c68584c48fe042726a57bf9be86d.png

calendrier5.pdf

calendrier5.svg

calendrier.afpub

PS. Firefox render of the SVG is OK, it's AD that renders tabbed text with errors:

2018-09-01_165210.png.af35cc41068b84cbace6c3597b568a14.png

I use Inkscape to create calendars.

It has an automatic feature , & infinite years.

Just put in the desired details (Extensions > Render > Calendar)  & run it.

Save as .svg & import in Affinity Designer.

Once imported, you'll notice there are extra, obsolete empty layers, which you can delete.

Inkscape can run on a Mac, has dozens of localization languages.