You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Applying master pages: How to tell which masterpage belongs to which spread

Hi,

I've noticed that you can use long names for your master pages, very nice! But how can you tell which master page belongs to which spread? In PP there is a button to reveal that information. Maybe, in Publisher, this button is still missing.

It's akward if you have a long book and don't see which master pages belong to which spread.

Thanks.

With the sites selected, look in the Layers panel at the bottom layer. That's the Master Page for the spread, if any.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Someone in another thread mentioned hovering the mouse over a page in the Page panel will also reveal the applied Master, if that helps.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm having a lot of trouble with master layers and pages. If I change the setup of the master layer I can't always rely on these automatically transferring to the pages. Often the right click on the pages has the "clear masters" option greyed out. and the pages seem to have old settings of the masters also included. I feel that I need to have a little more tuition in master page handling. 

I'd like to add that I find it unusual and rather inconvenient to find , that unlike PP which automatically adjusts to the "insert text cursor" when in a text box you have to change to the text tool before you can insert a page number. I don't feel this is an improvement.

I can confirm that hovering with the mouse over the thumbnail in the "Pages" area will show the applied master page, you can change it by left-clicking the page thumbnail and following the pop-up menu. So far, so good. But I need to see the master page applied to the page at once, it makes work much easier. Also I see another problem: applying a master page, the related page shows alle elements I applied to the master page but doesn´t take the margins I gave to the master. They always stay the same. I see it on Mac as well as on Windows. Something missed to do or a bug?

It would make formatting my book much easier if I could see which page has which master page allocated to it at a glance, rather than having to hover over it - like in PagePlus or InDesign.

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.