You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Wrapping Issues - AP

I've waited so long for Affinity Publisher to arrive and was delighted to receive an email saying that the beta was now available to download. I played with it most of yesterday afternoon with some text from my books and was just a bit disappointed that the program - at present - is not more geared towards the self-publishing industry for authors; for example, no ability to save epub or mobi files. The self-publishing industry is HUGE and it wouldn't take much to tweak your program to suit it. One big issue for me is that the text and character styles aren't as intuitive as they could be. Character and paragraph tabs similar to those in Indesign would be much simpler for text-based authors, such as myself.

Having said that, I also illustrate my books and design those illustrations in AD - Drawplus before that. I added a png image to my text, but was disappointed that the text didn't fit very nicely around the image - despite the left, top, right and bottom adjustment feature. I managed to get this to look a little neater when I created a shape as a background for the image (last one on the page). However, when the text is justified, as it usually is in books, it looks awful. I've attached an AP file showing 4 different ways I tried to adapt the text - none of which are 'pretty'.

Yesterday, I clicked on the node tool and a thick blue outline with nodes appeared around the image  - I was hoping that I could use these nodes to tweak where the text wrapped around the image, but the nodes weren't responsive. This is not a huge issue for me as more often than not I don't wrap text around my images, but it would be a nice feature. Unfortunately, today, I'm unable to get these nodes to show up again so I can't attach an image of what happened.

Please make this simpler :)

Loving the interface and program other than the above.

Renée

Test Book.afpub

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

I forgot to mention that Ctrl W on my computer closes the document, instead of removing all rulers etc.

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

Ctrl + W
is File > Close

Ctrl + Shift + W
is View  > Hide All Guides

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

Ctrl + W
is File > Close

Ctrl + Shift + W
is View  > Hide All Guides

Thank you Carl. In one of the tutorials it said Ctrl W ;)

It's said at 00:42 on the text wrapping tutorial https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/286541273

Edited by Martigny
To place link.

3 hours ago, Martigny said:

Yesterday, I clicked on the node tool and a thick blue outline with nodes appeared around the image  - I was hoping that I could use these nodes to tweak where the text wrapped around the image, but the nodes weren't responsive. This is not a huge issue for me as more often than not I don't wrap text around my images, but it would be a nice feature. Unfortunately, today, I'm unable to get these nodes to show up again so I can't attach an image of what happened.

Please make this simpler :)

You can convert the object to curves (context bar) and then edit the path with the "Node Tool".

11 minutes ago, Michail said:

You can convert the object to curves (context bar) and then edit the path with the "Node Tool".

Great way to adjust nodes and very useful - thanks Michail. I just tried it but, it still doesn't make the text look better when its justified though.

8 minutes ago, Martigny said:

Great way to adjust nodes and very useful - thanks Michail. I just tried it but, it still doesn't make the text look better when its justified though.

The size ratio between graphics and text seems to be somewhat unfavorable. Due to its size, the text does not know where to flow.

51 minutes ago, Michail said:

The size ratio between graphics and text seems to be somewhat unfavorable. Due to its size, the text does not know where to flow.

I just found out how I got that thick blue line to appear yesterday. Next to the 'show wrap settings' icon there's an 'edit wrap' icon. You can't drag the line as when you convert to curves but you can add and drag a node.

Thanks Pauls. I already tried that and it does look better.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.