You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image Placement is wrong with resolutions

Hi guys, 

Fantastic tool even in beta release. 

Just a problem while importing pictures ... Every tests done let me see that 300 dpi comes at 72 dpi.
(File > Place ...)  
For exemple ... a picture that is 4000 × 2400 @ 300 dpi in PS comes as 4000 × 2400 ... @ 72 dpi. 

When resizing at the exact size manually, it gives something like 290 dpi ... but it may play with native pixels, isn't it ? 

Strange indeed. 

Any thoughts about this ? 
Thanks a lot in advance. 

Hi etageneuf

Are you using any particular image type? I have imported a 350dpi jpg and it natively placed at 350dpi, but other have reported a similar issue

When you resize a placed image, we scaling using the DPI instead of altering the image's physical dimensions

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hello,

when I drag an 72dpi jpg from the finder onto the page of my 300dpi CMYK document, it is placed at 300 dpi. The same file placed inside a 400dpi document is placed at 400dpi = smaller. Which means it ignores the (calculated) "print-on-paper" dimensions and only uses the (physical) pixel dimensions.

I must say, most times I want to throw Images into my frames and fill the frame, but sometimes, especially when placing the pure photo, it should respect, what size in centimetres I have chosen. Some things should be in the right scale to each other!

also: when dragging a 300dpi jpg in, resource-manager insists original dpi was 72?

preview300dpi.png

publisher72dpi.png

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

This seems to be a long standing bug relating to Exif data when placing jpg's created in Photoshop into any of the Affinity apps and is also mentioned in this thread too. The issue doesn't seem to manifest itself when the jpg's are created using Affinity Photo...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.