You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request: indicate overflowing text

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 9:50 AM, folofol said:

When exporting, there's an error message: "Overflowing text: One or more text frames have overflowing text."

Not only does it seem hard to track down in even a small document, I can't actually find my overflowing text! :(

Same problem - I don't think I have any frames with overflowing text but I get this message.

I'm using a 2-column text frame for the main text.

The problem seems to have started when I added an image frame, and a text frame for the caption (and set the text wrap options to Jump).

I learned from another user on the forum: there is a small Eye Icon in the lower right (it's blue like the rest of the frame) that only appears when you have overflow text. You can click on the eye to see how much overflow you have and then again to hide it. I suggest that perhaps the Eye Icon be a different color so it is easier to spot!

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 8.29.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 8.29.54 PM.png

I dont see an eye on any of my text boxes and i get the overflow message. I am suspecting this message also is shown for overflow images and shapes maybe which i do have in the document. I tried bringing all diagrams into the page and still got the message on export

Same for me - I should have said in my earlier post that I checked for the overflow indicator and couldn't find one.

But I had added an image, using the "Scale to Max Fit" option which means that it may have been cropped. Maybe the overflow warning message is really trying to tell me that an image has been cropped.

1 hour ago, iceritchie said:

I dont see an eye on any of my text boxes and i get the overflow message. I am suspecting this message also is shown for overflow images and shapes maybe which i do have in the document. I tried bringing all diagrams into the page and still got the message on export

Turning on Show special characters can help. Look for stray paragraph marks, line ends, breaks etc falling out of text frames. 

Can either of you provide your file so someone can take a look? 

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

@JaneEIt is possible to overlook the little eye icon, but in my case, the icon wasn't displayed until I added some more text to my frame and it really did overflow. And then the icon was visible without having to resort to huge magnification.

The problem I reported was the error message saying that a frame had overflowed when actually no text frame had overflowed.

My mistake.

I had added a separate text frame for the title of the two-column booklet I was creating, because Publisher doesn't (yet?) support a "span column" paragraph style.

And although the text of the title didn't overflow its frame, there was a paragraph return at the end of the last line which caused Publisher to think that the frame was overset, even though all the text was visible. And, yes, I must have missed the little eye icon.

Feature request: to indicate overset frames, use a different colour (red) for the overflow indication icon to make it easier to spot.

21 hours ago, Adriandw said:

My mistake.

I had added a separate text frame for the title of the two-column booklet I was creating, because Publisher doesn't (yet?) support a "span column" paragraph style.

And although the text of the title didn't overflow its frame, there was a paragraph return at the end of the last line which caused Publisher to think that the frame was overset, even though all the text was visible. And, yes, I must have missed the little eye icon.

Feature request: to indicate overset frames, use a different colour (red) for the overflow indication icon to make it easier to spot.

I discovered the same last night. I found the ‘eye’ hard to spot. The text hadn’t overrun but deleting a hidden character (maybe the para return as you say) cleared the eye overrun and the nag message on export.

I've found most of the times that I get the "Overflowing text" error message it's the same issue.

There's an option to make textframe automatically content which is excellent but, by doing this AF makes the text frame just a little to small in height making letters like "g, j, p" and so on hang outside the self adjusted text box and therefore overflow the text frame and cause the error message. See example screen dumps.

image 1 shows a text frame that's manually adjusted and content fits inside frame. By double clicking the handle at bottom center the text frame self adjusts to smallest height possible, which is what I want.

135097967_Skarmavbild2018-09-14kl_10_43_24.png.2aec2f45334b6796b0dd6ad8c971a154.png

Image 2 shows that even though AF has done what I asked there's now a little eye indicating that even though AF itself decided gets to decide the height, it does that a little bit to much making the letter "p" slip outside the text frame hence causing the overflow issue and the warning.

Affinity Team - please fix this :)

1622463784_Skarmavbild2018-09-14kl_10_44_06.png.af22071edb317083c2a328a025f399a3.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.