You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Book publishing function

Publisher definitely needs the book function. It would be very difficult for me to manage one of my books as one file, especially as it's illustrated. I have to say that I am a bit disappointed with the program at the moment as it seems to me that it's better suited for flyers and leaflets - at best a short magazine.

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

38 minutes ago, Martigny said:

I have to say that I am a bit disappointed with the program at the moment as it seems to me that it's better suited for flyers and leaflets - at best a short magazine.

To give you some thumbs up I want to tell you that I created a test project with a more than 350 pages (mainly text) from a real project I was working on recently. This worked quite well in regard to no crashes and speed. The only drawback was that the initial import of the pages took some time. To me it seems to be a little unclear wether Serif is going to introduce a book feature with multiple documents or if they try to stay with the 'one file paradigm'.

Personally I would prefer a book feature with linked documents similar or enhanced to the way InDesign handles this.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I have to say that when I first heard there was to be an AP I imagined it would be a PPX9 on steroids. I am disappointed with it and with the staff response thus far, being:

" Do you mean a separate app like BookPlus? We hope that Publisher will be able to cope with long books without having to split each chapter into a separate file."

'Hoping' does not inspire confidence in the product or address the issues mentioned by prospective professional users in this post - which I imagine AP is primarily aimed at with the 'hope' of attracting them away from InDesign. If the design brief was to see how big a file AP could 'cope' with before failing, then the designers don't understand print or the needs of publishers. For one, a large file is very unwieldy and difficult to deal with - imagine a printer trying to print a book on a very big single sheet of paper in the 'hope' that the machine will be able to cope without having to cut the sheet up into sections.

If there is to be no book function then the product is really only suitable for slim booklets and the leaflets and flyers already mentioned. I accept that large files may work as mentioned by Dominik above, but that misses the point - you can drive screws in with a hammer, but they won't hold as well as when screwed in with the right tool.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for Serif to come clean and state 'Yes or No' as to whether there will be a book function or not. That way we won't hang about waiting in vain for something that is never going to appear. I think that is the least that could be done.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB - Asus ProArt  24" 1920 x 1200

iMac 2017 Quad-Core Intel 2.4GHz Cor i5 - 21.5'' Retina 4K - 8Gb RAM - 1TB Fusion drive - Radion Pro 560 4GB - Ventura 13.0.1

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit. Nvidia GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080 - 2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200

2 hours ago, GRH said:

If there is to be no book function then the product is really only suitable for slim booklets and the leaflets and flyers

That is not true. You can definitely and easily make quite thick books in one file.

It is a workflow problem you have here. Do not claim that if your book workflow is better with separate chapter files that applies also to all book projects of all people.

14 hours ago, Fixx said:

That is not true. You can definitely and easily make quite thick books in one file.

It is a workflow problem you have here. Do not claim that if your book workflow is better with separate chapter files that applies also to all book projects of all people.

Actually, I agree with GRH. When putting a large book together, as I am, good organisation of the chapters is essential. Affinity themselves used the book feature in PagePlus to put their work books together, so I'm surprised they have not paid attention to this important part of a DTP. Putting all our eggs in one basket, as the old adage goes, is never a good idea.

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

For more complex (long & large) book creations it's always helpful to also be able to divide a TOC, chapters, LOF, index, etc. into separate by a book project referenced docs. It's also useful to structure & organize things this way then, especially when several people do write together collaboratively on a book, or if the book has also to be published and translated for/into different languages. - Otherwise, things can quickly get confusing and massive changes are often difficult to implement. And according to Murphy, if something goes wrong then, it rips possibly in the worst-case the whole one file document. In general, complex things and problems are more manageable when broken down into smaller manageable parts.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

11 hours ago, Martigny said:

When putting a large book together, as I am, good organisation of the chapters is essential

Yes. They are imported into layout in numbered order. If the book is simple and material is finished, workflow does not demand separate book chapter files. But then, our little publishing company has turnover only 9 MEUR so what do I know.

13 minutes ago, Fixx said:

so what do I know.

Well apparently a lot more than anyone else.