You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert text to table

• 2 weeks later...

Highly essential! I receive texts in word format. It always contains tables. I can not count the number of lines and columns, create the table and fill it manually... Copy the text in the word table cell, alt tab to switch to AP, paste in the good cell, alt tab... For a small table, it's ok ... But most of the time the manual filling would be painful.

Windows 10 21H2 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz - 16,0 Go - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

• 8 months later...

Doesn't work for me... 
Create a table

Select a number of rows and columns
Paste
Everything is in the first cell.

Paste same clipboard content to text editor (BBEdit) that shows hidden characters -> tabs present and confirmed.

:-(

9 minutes ago, Burndog said:

Select a number of rows and columns

Just elected a few cells and paste. See how that works for you.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

16 hours ago, Burndog said:

I did that... Here is an abridged version of my file for testing:

test.txt

Tried a number of things and failed at all but one. Copy as Styled Text from BBEdit. (Why the hell does BBEdit have such a menu item? I use it because it doesn't format or style the text.)

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Right but, I originally gather my text from "copy to clipboard" from OfficeTime Reporting and then format as a table to use in Invoices. So the BBEdit text was created from a clipboard element that proved to show the tabs in BBEdit.

This is really weird if it's working for everyone else. 

Screen shots:
1) Create new doc using latest Publisher Beta (downloaded yesterday)
2) Create a Table
3) Select some cells of the table
4)Ctl V to paste. Also tried from the Edit menu with same effect.
5) All text pasted to a single column / cell

BBEditScreenSnapz004.jpg

Affinity Publisher BetaScreenSnapz005.jpg

tabbed.txt

Affinity Publisher BetaScreenSnapz003.jpg

Affinity Publisher BetaScreenSnapz002.jpg

Affinity Publisher BetaScreenSnapz001.jpg

Hi @Burndog we must be among the very few who us plain text. What is needed is for the text to be in rich text format. (I do not like this new world with no use for, nor ability to use, plain text files.) Hence the working with the BBEdit Copy as Styled Text.

Seems utterly bizarre that a tab is some how not a tab in plain text.

Oh, and I just checked this in the latest beta, 1.7.0.326. Same behaviour that had us getting nowhere, has to be .rtf files (and simply changing the extension does nothing, I checked.)

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

This seems to be a legitimate bug.

The same text that has Tab characters will NOT work in their original state BUT will work if copied from BBEdit as "Styled Text".

The Styled Text does paste into a Table in Affinity Publisher and formats as expected. But that same text from the original App does not work.
We see when showing hidden characters that the Tab characters exist (displayed as triangles) and only works when recopied from an application like BBEdit when selected as Styled Text.

Makes little sense because BBEdit should not be reformatting anything. The original clipboard text should work just as it does when copied a second time from BBEdit as Styled Text.

• 10 months later...