You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've just installed 1.7.0.57 on Windows 10. 

It installed very quickly and with no errors

It looks great, matching or complementing the layouts for Photo and Designer.

I thought I would try to import a text file into a new document. The option to do this is under the Text menu but is greyed out. I found I could make this active either by creating a text box with the Frame Box tool or by using the Artistic Text tool. The Frame Box tool worked well but was not what I really wanted to do; I wanted simply to have a document that fitted the width of the page and created new pages to contain all the text I had imported, as can be done with OpenOffice or MS Word. When I tried using the Artistic Text tool and imported an unformatted block of text from a file, the result was an extremely wide box of text that overflowed the page in both directions. When I used 'Zoom to Selection' I was able to reduce the width of the box to the size of the page. This had the effect of reducing the size of the type to being too small to read. I can understand that this is something one might want when being 'artistic' but , again, did not achieve the quick result I had hoped for.  

In the attached image, the first block is using the Frame Box tool, which constrains the text to the width but does not expand in height , creating the necessary pages to display it. The second block was the result of using the Artistic Text tool and bringing the size of the created box back to within the page dimensions, which reduced the text size accordingly.

These two tools remind me very much of PagePlus, which was a good alternative to Word but I didn't use it very much and don't recall how I might have done what I tried here with Publisher.

Any advice ? 

[Edit] I found the answer in another recent post , "Auto text flow across pages".

It is , basically , to use the Frame Box Tool, enlarge it to the size of the page and then use the Shift key to auto flow across pages. 

Affinity Publisher example.JPG

Edited by DSNet
Found answer in another post.

Ummm. Publisher is not a word processor, or a text editor. It is a layout tool. It will not, and should not, work like Word or Office-products.

It is very capable equivalent of InDesign or Quark Xpress. It should not just place text flowing over pages, because then you would lose the precision control of the layout.

Also, text you edit will not be saved back to the text you have imported.

Thanks. So this would not be the product to use if I were writing a book but would be useful for flyers, brochures or magazine layout for example.

I didn't expect any link to the file that I had imported text from but thanks again for the clarification. 

Hi,

you can find the solution for your problem(s) here:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/publisher/desktop/

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.