You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overflowing Text Frames

When exporting to PDF I get a dialog that pops up telling me that there are text frames that have overflowing text. I cannot locate these text frames so I'm wondering is there some way of viewing all text frames that have overflowing text?

Would be nice if the dialog that alerts you to the problem offered to show you which frames were overflowing.

I have to say I'm very impressed so far with Publisher it is awesome. I was able to take one of my brochure designs that I had done in InDesign and recreated it in Publisher and it was pretty painless and being a long time Designer and Photo user I felt totally at home. Great job!

• 4 months later...

I also came across this issue. When I get the overflowing textframes notifications, all I currently can do is check all of the textframes one after the other for that red eye symbol. (Right?)The document has 20 pages and around 60 textframes and its already difficult. Imagine when its 100 pages or more...

Would be great if you could include a feature to easily detect which textframes are overflowing :-)

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

I have the same issue - but I cannot see any small "red eye"? What is the "Flow handle"?. Yes, in legacy range, there was a very easy to use pre-flight check panel. We need that in Publisher.

In addition to the red eye that is used to hide or show overflow, if you have View > Show Text Flow ticked, stories with overflow will have two extra round red markers on every frame, when unselected. These markers disappear if there's no overflow, and turn into the triangular flow handles (which will also be red for overflow) when the frame is selected. We appreciate that a proper pre-flight check and UI is needed, but in the mean time it's easier to look for these red markers than it is for the red eye.

(I forget when the overflow markers were added, but it was likely after this thread started so the early replies don't know about them.)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the more detailed tip. I made sure it is checked. I think I see some small red circles on text frames when not selected, but those maybe from field names and page number showing through from master page. So I do not think I understood your "extra round red markers". I also no longer see the red eye next to right ward pointing triangle when a text frame is selected.

I tried dragging out text frames off the page to see if any text appears, but cannot see anything (not that the dark background of non-canvas area helps). So a bit of a mess.

I am trying to learn Affinity, but not as intuitive as legacy range and still has many basics missing. I only created a few pages so far in Publisher because of issues like text alignment, text styles, looking for line spacing, indenting, etc. Probably would have taken me 20 minutes in PagePlus, but several hours in Affinity Publisher so far. Well, don't give up easy, so will try the Affinity publisher route more for the publication I need to create, but if pain like this I will have to go back to PagePlus.

Hi All,

I finally found items - on the Master Page. I did not edit anything on master pages last few days, so how those text frames changed I do not know. I deleted every text frame, one by one to see which one was the culprit. When I tried all, I deleted all, and found still warning popping up. So then I thought OK, Master Pages last guess, and that was it. Time I will not get back :-(.

Maybe this tip helps others.

I only hope that Affinity range keeps getting better.... These are basics we need like pre-flight check and all features of old range + better must be there. Easier and more intuitive.

On 9/4/2018 at 5:35 PM, handshaper said:

But it certainly was painful having to check every text frame.

Just a thought until there is a preflight panel :10_wink: - in terms of tracking down the culprit text-frames, if you do 'view > zoom > zoom to document' - no matter how many pages you have, you will zoom out to see thumbnails of all pages at once - the little red alert dots do NOT scale down with the thumbnail, so it's really easy to spy which page(s) have overflowing text (assuming as above, that you have 'show text flow' enabled and are not in preview mode)

Screenshot 2019-07-03 at 12.27.11.png

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

• 1 month later...

Hmm, I get this overflow warning on pdf export also, on a 206 page document. I've followed the suggestions above, although I need a larger zoom since I can't see anything on the Zoom to Document with that many pages. However no red dots appear to indicate frames that have overflow text.

I agree for the need for Publisher to tell exactly where the frame is when it gives that warning. The Resource Manager is excellent because it tells exactly which page a linked image is on that needs updating. Similar specifics for overflow text would be great.

11 hours ago, vwatson said:

However no red dots appear to indicate frames that have overflow text.

In that case, you might need to check your Master Pages separately. They won't show up in your zoomed-out view of the document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2019 at 12:28 PM, iaing said:

Just a thought until there is a preflight panel :10_wink: - in terms of tracking down the culprit text-frames, if you do 'view > zoom > zoom to document' - no matter how many pages you have, you will zoom out to see thumbnails of all pages at once - the little red alert dots do NOT scale down with the thumbnail, so it's really easy to spy which page(s) have overflowing text (assuming as above, that you have 'show text flow' enabled and are not in preview mode)

Screenshot 2019-07-03 at 12.27.11.png

You legend! This worked. Thank you very much.