You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Impressive at first look for a first beta. I come from QuarkXPress and I find AP intuitive.

Projects – What if you have several related files (stationery, brochure, etc.) and you want to them to share resources and formatting. If you add another item to the project, such as a booklet, could you pick up the resources and formatting?

Long documents – Sections, etc. How to handle long documents.

Issues – Publications with several locations, etc. Maybe ads change from region to region.

External copy editing while layout is being worked on. Could a text editor be used to edit placed text and have it update on the page geometry?

Versioning – is that Save History? Can you revert to a previous version.

Step and Repeat – Such as 4 across and 8 down, duplicate.

Repurposing – eBooks, web, etc.

I am writing a book using Scrivener. I want to do my own layout, since I have a graphics and printing background and have been hoping AP will be ready by the time I am ready to layout my book. Scrivener recently included an option to output to software called Vellum.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Bob Grahame,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)  
Thank you for your feedback. Sorry the delay getting back to you, we have been quite busy since Publisher's Beta release.
I'm moving this thread to the Discussions and Suggestions for Affinity Publisher Beta on Desktop where if fits better since this one is just for bug reports.

• Staff
On 8/31/2018 at 7:23 AM, Bob Grahame said:

Impressive at first look for a first beta. I come from QuarkXPress and I find AP intuitive.

Thanks for your compliments and questions

Projects – What if you have several related files (stationery, brochure, etc.) and you want to them to share resources and formatting. If you add another item to the project, such as a booklet, could you pick up the resources and formatting?

External copy editing while layout is being worked on. Could a text editor be used to edit placed text and have it update on the page geometry?

Text files with formatting stored by reference (linked) are not currently part of the Affinity architecture

Long documents – Sections, etc. How to handle long documents.

More long document features are coming.

Issues – Publications with several locations, etc. Maybe ads change from region to region.

Currently this would require multiple files. That is quite a sophisticated requirement and is easier to do once the software handles shared text resources (your first question).

Versioning – is that Save History? Can you revert to a previous version.

No, Publisher does not have the option to save Snapshots as that is a Photo specific feature.

Step and Repeat – Such as 4 across and 8 down, duplicate.

This will make an appearance in Affinity Designer at some point, but may appear in Publisher too I do not know sorry.

Repurposing – eBooks, web, etc.

Other Export formats will follow in time yes.

I am writing a book using Scrivener. I want to do my own layout, since I have a graphics and printing background and have been hoping AP will be ready by the time I am ready to layout my book. Scrivener recently included an option to output to software called Vellum.

I hope you find APub useful to your needs, but many of these features are unlikely to be added before release of version 1.7

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thank you so much for your attention to my queries.

I'm not sure what you meant about the history or snapshot idea as being photo specific. Scrivener has Snapshots with Compare (original with current version) and Roll Back. The snapshot text can be copied. Maybe that's a way to handle changes for various regions of a publication.