You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Indexing & cross referencing

The ability to tag text elements and generate an index (automatically like the Table of Contents) is one thing I would use in larger projects.

Likewise, the ability to build cross references that automatically update the page number (to avoid 'see page XX' errors) is something else that I use regularly, but indexing is a higher priority.

This looks really good and I'm looking forward to trying it out properly.

2 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

Cross references won't be in 1.7 but should come later.

Will that be later in 1.x, Dave, or is this something you aren’t in a position to commit to? ears.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have huge hopes when it goes to indexing, and variables, and references. These functions are used extensively in DTP, yet InDesign has never bothered to deal with them correctly.

I would love to see a simple way of marking text as a variable and later pasting it by means of an auto-updating field, or making an index of these variable marks, or self-numbering "works-cited" list, or a reusable template for many instances of one document, each instance differing in several parameters (e.g. a booklet for a particular person with the ability of changing the name once, and automatically filling out all fields with the name)... It would also be great if we had more control over the auto-generated index - a kind of an object, or a customizable form would be great in which we could define styles for the whole object instead of treating the whole text as "text"... Just like CSS and HTML...

This would also be great with regard to building interactive PDF forms, or something...

The beta is nice and brings hope to the people :) I can't wait for the full version after the first major update... just like with photo or designer 1.5 ;)

indexing is a very very important feature as far as large documents

including the ability 

- to format precisely the index (with/without heading, with/without dots, etc.),

- to see exactly what word(s) makes the entry (the blue flag shows the in point, but not the out point)

- to remove easily an index entry

• 1 year later...
On 8/31/2018 at 9:53 AM, Dave Harris said:

Publisher does support index marks and indexes. See Text > Index and View > Studio > Index. Cross references won't be in 1.7 but should come later.

That's a complete show stopper for me. Can you please be more detailed, when referencing will be available. In the meanwhile I have to stick with MS word, as I#m using a lot of figures I refere within the text. Also numbering the figures based on the sections would be nice.

In the example below the bold text shows the reference and the italic text where it links to. So when you click on the 1 of "section 1" it whill refere you to "Section 1: some blabla".

When you click on "Figure 1-1" it will jump to "Figure 1-1: A nice graph". The numbering is done automatically. So if I delete "---graph--- Figure 1-1: A nice graph" then it should update "Figure 1-2: Another nice graph in section 1" to be "Figure 1-1: Another nice graph in section 1".

Example:

Section 1: some blabla

see Figure 1-1 below:

---- graph ---
Figure 1-1: A nice graph in section 1

---- graph ---
Figure 1-2: Another nice graph in section 1

Section 2. some more blabla

see Figure 1-1 in section and Figure 2-1 below:

---- graph ----
Figure 2-1: another nice graph