You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create QR Code

Is it possible to create a QR Code with Publisher?
How i imagine it?
Klick on a Button, f.e. QR Code, then a new window opens where you can enter your Text, V-card or url... what should be displayed when the code is scanned.
I have not found such a function. if it´s not possible at this time,  it would be very nice if it will be build in one time :)

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

I use the third party App QR Factory (for Mac) if I need QR Codes and export (copy / paste) them to Affinity Publisher. I don't know if INDesign can do this from itself. But if Affinity Publisher for Mac gets Apple Script support working with third party QR code apps should be no problem.  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

You guys cannot seriously be asking for a "generator" from a PHOTO EDITOR company?  Especially the EAN, standardized barcode comment, BARCODES ARE FONTS PEOPLE, EASY TO LOCATE AND DOWNLOAD.  Also you can generate a QR code WITH A GENERATOR MADE FOR QR GENERATING! 

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2020 at 3:09 AM, Mesohny said:

You guys cannot seriously be asking for a "generator" from a PHOTO EDITOR company?  Especially the EAN, standardized barcode comment, BARCODES ARE FONTS PEOPLE, EASY TO LOCATE AND DOWNLOAD.  Also you can generate a QR code WITH A GENERATOR MADE FOR QR GENERATING! 

No need for shouting. I am asking for this as well. It is just way more convenient to have this kind of generators baked into AFpub. Especially since Indesign has it for years, and that’s what Serif competes with.

On 9/16/2020 at 9:09 PM, Mesohny said:

a PHOTO EDITOR company?

This was requested for Publisher, not for Photo.

I agree it wouldn't make much sense to add this to Affinity Photo, but it does make a lot of sense for Affinity Publisher, and maybe even for Designer (though to a lesser degree).

QuarkXPress also offers this, and even Swift Publisher has this feature.

I always used third party apps for bar and qr codes. But I agree that, for me, it would be nice to have this is Designer. But once it's in Designer... why not in Publisher and Photo. But untill then there are so many free apps and website you can use. I don't think it's one of the most important function to add.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

12 minutes ago, janndk said:

And even Serif's own good old PagePlus could create QR-codes!!

Only when the product was coming to the end of its development. I think the marketing people were desperately looking for new features to persuade users to buy the new version!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Only when the product was coming to the end of its development. I think the marketing people were desperately looking for new features to persuade users to buy the new version!

Maybe so. But it's still working 😉 However, it feels a bit stupid to switch back to PagePlus when needing a publication with a QR-code 🙄

• 2 months later...

I'm currently attempting a mail merge that has pre-generated QR codes.

The source URL's are shortened as SHORTURL.qr and are then redirected/expand when they are requested to a LONGURL.png source and this fails during mail merge.

The redirect itself works fine, just Publisher (and most other mail merge tools) needs a direct link to a source and can't seem to handle the redirect.

So either fixing the source URL issue to follow the redirect OR generate the QR code on the fly from the source data during the merge would be very useful.

1 hour ago, nisiwi said:

I'm currently attempting a mail merge that has pre-generated QR codes.

Are you trying to add the QR image to the mail merged document? I have found that the images need to be in the same folder as the CSV file for this to work.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Are you trying to add the QR image to the mail merged document? I have found that the images need to be in the same folder as the CSV file for this to work.

Images are remotely hosted on a web server that generates them which is why I'm using URL's to point to them and yes they are being added during the merge.

I solved my current problem (I think) by exploding the short URL to the long URL (that points direct to the PNG QR code image) prior to the data merge using an Excel script and will use that as the image source.

The problem is with the shorturl and the Affinuty app which is expecting a successful server response and instead is getting a new location (redirect) which is confusing it.

Will test shortly.

I really do need to know if you are wanting to have the QR code as an image. If you are wanting that then can you download the images (png files) from the generating website into a folder on your computer and then just use that folder of images instead of having to link to that website?.

Or are you using QR codes to direct people to a webpage and need the url which is in the QR image?

I really do not fully understand what your desired end result is. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

39 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I really do need to know if you are wanting to have the QR code as an image. If you are wanting that then can you download the images (png files) from the generating website into a folder on your computer and then just use that folder of images instead of having to link to that website?.

Or are you using QR codes to direct people to a webpage and need the url which is in the QR image?

I really do not fully understand what your desired end result is. 

The latter, it's dynamic.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I am designing a deck of cards with a unique QR Code on each card. It would be nice to use Affinity Publisher to do this with the Data Merge function. I'm currently using NanDeck which automatically generates the QR codes from text provided in the spreadsheet. It's a shame that a piece of free software like NanDeck can outperform Affinity Publisher hands down! I have no choice but to use NanDeck until this problem is addressed. http://www.nandeck.com/