You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 9/1/2018 at 12:16 PM, Dave Harris said:

Yes, we'll add more export formats in future to support e-publications. (I'm not going to commit to exactly which ones.) For this initial 1.7 release we chose to coast with our existing PDF because we had so much else to do. We have left a lot of work to do over the coming years.

Thank you Dave for responding :)  Knowing that e-publications will be supported in the future is a good thing.   

23 hours ago, stunev said:

Talk of alternative ePub creation software like Jutoh and Sigil is missing the point, yes you can use other programs to create ebooks but why would you want to start from scratch with clunky software when, using InDesign you create one beautiful  layout and export for print or ePub. This is where Affinity are getting it wrong by not providing ePub export as a basic feature. I’ve said it before, this is a deal breaker.

InDesign is so expensive, and I was looking forward to a cheap alternative to allow me to create eBook files with low delivery costs on Amazon (those pesky delivery charges)! Hopefully, they'll fix this soon, and this will become a viable option for publishers to use! Also, when that time comes, hopefully they'll also allow images to be embedded as repeated images without increasing file size--again, delivery charges. Until that happens, there's really not much to do with the software, since eBook is a far bigger industry for indie authors. So, looking forward when this is eBook compatible. :D

Just adding my voice to this. Ebook formats needed here too.

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

When they come around to doing it.. do what you've done with PagePlus... add a 2nd export menu option, so it looks like this:

1. Export Print Publishing - As is really, optimal print profile settings as default for User Printing / Print Book Publishing / Printing shops.

2. Export Digital Publishing - epub3, PDF (with digital ebook profile set as default).

PDF will be on both export options, by default set for their respective optimal profile (print v ebook, of course uses can tweak change as is).

I won't be buying Publisher until it is released to allow me to create books that i can create then export for Print Press (printing house) and ebooks (epub3 for apple, google and amazon kindle (via converter)) and PDF digital (not high quality print press) for my website.

I'm looking to create a few booklets series that i can have printed and publish via the existing etail platforms.

Why isn't this pinned to the top as it's one of the most sought / expected options.

A little under 1/3 of Amazon book sales are ebooks, and it's becoming common for a print book to have a Kindle alternative. Having said that, it is also true that ebook sales as a percentage of overall sales are starting to flatten, so print is hardly going to go away.

Independent publishers want to have one platform to output both print and ebooks. After all, the content is the same. i haven't seen any numbers on this, but with my own buying habits, I see the great majority of ebooks are simple text books, some with photo sections, but rarely with photos that have to be in a certain place in relation to the text (outside of the cover and some chapter "numbers" that are images). Fixed layout books are important to certain market segments (kids books, graphic novels, etc.) but IMO remain relatively limited overall.

So reflowable ePub is very important. We should all remember the slow evolution of ePub support in ID, beginning with a very buggy implementation in CS5.5. Hopefully, we can expect better from Affinity/Serif (i.e. *not* buggy) and see solid ePub support roll-out in phases. I regularly edit ePubs using Sigil, fixing things ID did not get quite right. So if I had to do that with Publisher, I could live with it, particularly if I was taking care of things not yet supported by Publisher, rather than fixing buggy output.

Yes, once you touch the ebook with Sigil, you basically lose the ability to do updates with ID or Publisher. So yeah, I would like to see everything in Publisher at some point.

iMac 2017 Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, macOS Mojave 10.14

Radeon Pro 580 - 8GB

• 8 months later...

Yes, please ePub, HTML and CSS export or saving functionality. Of course there are things like Sigil, but I can do a publication in InDesign and export it... I can even do a publication in Pages. I really would love to have this functionality in Publisher... ePub reflowable as well as fixed layout.

I believe this will be added for sure in future updates, in the meantime tools like MarkStein Publisher (there is a free standard one which supports Epub) can fill that gap.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

There was a post a while ago where Patrick Connor addressed that they will look at epub after the official release.  So I am trying to patiently wait for that feature.

We are trying to get the current features rounded and finished first but I am sure that we will want to consider EPub formats and interactive PDF features before too long. We are trying not to overpromise on the release build, but the Affinity approach does add new features and improvements in free patches, so watch our for an Affinity Publisher roadmap that will make our direction clearer. No roadmap has been made public yet though, sorry.

On 6/14/2019 at 5:32 PM, v_kyr said:

For writing:  https://www.apple.com/ibooks-author/

...or just simply:  typora

Apple Pages also exports ePub.

As does Scrivener, and a few other apps.

Writers aren't generally going to use a Page Layout application to write books, anyways.  It's for finishing, and I see increasingly less reason to go to something like Publisher for an eBook when you can get the entire A-to-Z workflow done in Scrivener.

I think that writing lots of text itself isn't the initial task of publishing software, even some tools may be good usable in that regard too here, but usually for such tasks other common software like word/text processor software and editors are better suited for. So a DTP software is more used to give the whole then some final wanted layout, specific style and format.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Perhaps I don’t understand the Affinity business model but It seems obvious that they’re after the Adobe market, people who are fed up with paying £20 a month for In Design. In In Design, designers can take a manuscript from an author created in the likes of Word and format and style it .Once there it’s a simple matter to output to PDF for web or print or fixed and re-flowable ePub, all from the same original layout. Without all of these export options right from the start, plus opening of In Design files, Affinity Publisher will never take the professional design market away from Adobe and saying that they might do this in future isn’t good enough. Affinity seem to be taking business from Adobe with Photo and Designer, it’s a shame they can’t complete the trio of images, vectors and layout.

8 hours ago, stunev said:

Without all of these export options right from the start, plus opening of In Design files, Affinity Publisher will never take the professional design market away from Adobe and saying that they might do this in future isn’t good enough.

Many of us would rather have Publisher now, with its current set of functions, than wait another year or two for an initial version that would include support for ePub and for In Design files. And even with those, some will insist that Footnotes/Endnotes are critical, and it shouldn't have been released without them. And others will insist that their favorite feature is critical and the program shouldn't have been released without it.

So, will it work for everyone, for all ther projects, today? No.

But it works for enough users that (from informal information I've heard) it provided a significant number of sales, and revenue, for Serif.

It will get better, and then it will satisfy more users, and work for more projects, and generate even more sales and revenue :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

A dedicated epub/kindle creation tool like Jutoh, will always do a better job. The whole structure of such tools is based around epub/kindle creation. Adding book sections/pages is very much different than Publisher like tools. It is possible to drag maps, pages just to another position. Store research items, ideas and other information into the "Scraps" map and it will not be visible in the final book.

Also, Jutoh delivers much cleaner epub code than Publisher/Indesign/PagePlus will ever do. There is so much more control over the finished ebook in Jutoh, the others can never deliver.

Is Jutoh perfect? No, it isn't, but it is the best tool for creating epub/kindle ebooks.

Chris

7 minutes ago, Bad_Wolf said:

Is Jutoh perfect? No, it isn't, but it is the best tool for creating epub/kindle ebooks.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Sigil is another good option.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have not looked to Sigil really deeply but it feels a bit more technical than Jutoh. Jutoh may be simpler to understand (though you still have to know what features to use and tweak and what not).

• 1 month later...

As already mentioned, and as editor and book’s creator, a direct ePub export would be dearly appreciated. I'm about editing as ePub 10 of my paper titles. There is a way to get them made directly out of Scrivener... but with a totally (and not necessarily nice) different look.

But, is there any plan to have the feature integrated in Publisher in a near future?

• 3 weeks later...