You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Objects to "No Print"

I was looking for the very thing and found this thread.

I do product design and on a sheet there is a lot of information only needed for commercial printing as well as some notes only for me.
When I print locally, it would be great if I could set those elements to "no print". Its just a waste of toner otherwise.

Even better if we could chose visibility between screen, print and export.

Currently I set the visibility of unwanted layers manually, but it can get tiresome.

Please add this, thanks!

2 minutes ago, LostInTranslation said:

Currently I set the visibility of unwanted layers manually, but it can get tiresome.

Where is the difference to setting unwanted layers (elements) to no-print? Perhaps you should differentiate layer-layers (not meaning element-layers) to "personal" and "commercial" and switch visibility when needed?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

9 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Where is the difference to setting unwanted layers (elements) to no-print?

You set it one time only ... the software respects and remembers your goal and cares automatically for the wanted/not-wanted occurrence of such objects.

The use of a non-printing layer property is that these layers are visible in the layout view but do not need to get set to invisible on print or export.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Where is the difference to setting unwanted layers (elements) to no-print? Perhaps you should differentiate layer-layers (not meaning element-layers) to "personal" and "commercial" and switch visibility when needed?

To add to what Thomaso has said, what you suggest is also not as convenient as the proposed solution in this thread because we still lack global layers. Just switching visibility on and off currently has to be done to every spread in the document where content not for print exists.

7 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

because we still lack global layers. Just switching visibility on and off currently has to be done to every spread in the document where content not for print exists.

If you put the "content not for print" on a Master Page (or in a Text Frame inherited from a Master Page) then you can simply set the visibility of the objects in the Master Page off, and they're hidden in all the document spreads that inherited from that Master. And since you can have multiple Masters, you could put all this content on a separate Master (or set of Masters) to keep it separate from the normal content and more easily managed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 7/16/2020 at 3:43 PM, walt.farrell said:
On 7/16/2020 at 3:32 PM, garrettm30 said:

because we still lack global layers. (...)

If you put the "content not for print" on a Master Page (or in a Text Frame inherited from a Master Page) then you can simply set the visibility of the objects in the Master Page off, and they're hidden in all the document spreads that inherited from that Master.

Walt, your preferred and often recommended workaround to work around the lack of global layers using master pages, is not particularly useful due to the lack of non-printable features.

The master level and the global level are not only two very different things, with different workflows and different advantages, while one does not replace the other, especially not for non-printing objects, for which your advice on using master pages may also be awkward because it requires additional user actions. Note that a master page object is displayed on all pages to which it has been assigned, while you may only have non-printable objects on some pages, and that each one can be different from the other, which significantly limits its useful use as a master object.

Note: Global Layers are present throughout the entire document & on every page. You cannot apply or create a global layer on individual pages only nor do you have to (but you create it on any page + get it on all pages). It simply exists there, on each page at a specific, uniform position in the layers hierarchy. So you have such a global layer on every page, for example always above other layers without having to move it, and you can use it in this way e.g. use for various objects that you always see but never want to display. To alter a global layers hierarchical position you simply drag it in the layers panel on any page, and it will get moved automatically on all other pages, too.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 5 months later...

My +1, too.

As much as I appreciate Walt's advice, this is not about doing something maybe once or twice. For a hobby designer, it may not be a problem to turn a layer on or off once in a while. In professional life, you have to do some things hundreds of times a day. And there it is extremely time-saving and prevents a lot of trouble if you only have to define certain settings once and the software then reliably implements them the hundredth time. Time is money!

• 2 weeks later...

guys, i have followed this application for a long time and noticed the strong resilience against essential improvements. is it too fancy? it was available and now not? it does not make sense to me.

+1 pls add this function. hire a new person and make the app a dream app and stop resisting the infinite amount of user input here.. pls pls with cherry on top.

Adding my voice to this request.  I create a lot of book covers, and it's handy to have a non-printing square showing where the barcode is meant to go on the rear of the cover. I don't want to open the master layer and unselect it, then reselect it, every time I go to export my files.  If I just deselect the layer on the page I'm working on, it still shows up on the other 13 pages in the document.

16 minutes ago, Simon Haynes said:

If I just deselect the layer on the page I'm working on, it still shows up on the other 13 pages in the document.

Have ADesigner also? Lucky one if yes. Here is a small workaround for you:

1. Do your non-printing square where you want.

2. "Edit in Designer" and create a symbol from that square, having Sync active.

3. Switch back to APu. Now before you print, just pick one symbol and change the opacity to 0%.

Yes I know ... workarounds ... better than nothing in the moment, but a true no-print option would be nice.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+1

I'm somewhat new to using the Affinity apps full time… I arrived here looking for how to make a non-print item/layer. As others stated, this is needed for keylines, dielines, and many other fabrications within printing beyond straight/flat lithography. So please add this basic feature. For now, I'll have to resort to the old competitor's software.

I moved all office to Affinity, but we still pay Adobe for licenses because we're not able to export PDF files with non-printable layers form Affinity :(.
Today I'm sending another job to printers that has perforation marked on non-printable layer.

This is not just any feature but something that is used in print industry and professional printing every day.

W11, Dell G5, i7, 64GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2600, Wacom Intuos Pro M + iPad Pro 2018.
 sakrajda.eu

I agree this it is a necessary feature for Publisher to have non-printing. I'm working on a design that has to work around ring binder holes on an A4 sheet and they're just locked shapes that would print if I forget about them. 

A nice way of doing this in Inkscape is the ability to turn a shape into a guide which is then automatically non-printing. You can also 'release' guides to edit or move them. Perhaps this could work in Affinity. 

• 5 weeks later...