You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Objects to "No Print"

Thumbs up for this suggestion.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Yes, unchecking visibility in the Layers panel keeps a layer from printing. But it also cannot be seen. The request is to keep an item visible on screen, but suppress printing of that item.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Back in the day, Serif’s vector drawing and page layout software had separate ‘Visible’ and ‘Printable’ settings, but several years ago they opted to go down the ‘if you can see it, it will print’ route, and they seem to have decided to continue with that approach. I personally think there’s something to be said for being able to specify that some layers should be visible at design time yet not included in the output, but I don’t hold out much hope for Serif choosing to revert to their old ways.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Let me speak about "back in the day"... This can be traced back decades in the desktop publishing realm.

The desktop publishing app may perhaps present the vastest array of uses, and users, of any other software; and so , should offer the most versatility.
I mostly use my desktop publisher for printing labels and envelopes or composing downloadable pdfs for a website I run for a local club.
I may never use some of the more sophisticated features aimed at the professional, but appreciate the ease of use and availability of many features.
I am accustomed to creating orientation and other printing guides while figuring out how to create and print an envelope size my printer doesn't have built into it's driver.

The question is; should the user find a way to work around the software, or should the software work for the user?
The no-print is really helpful.

No-Print Legacy.png

If would be useful to have a no print option for layers, which should also prevent export. 

Many applications from using any object as a construction guide, to keeping notes about irritating clients. 

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 10 months later...

Just being able to write Odd and Even in large letters on a non-printable layer can assist booklet production, no end.

It was a God send in PagePlus and I think the omission of this facility in Publisher is a huge failing on the designers part.  Please add a non-printable layers option to the next Publisher update.

image.png.c02293ea156863065010cdbf97201201.png

• 2 months later...

I would also like to see visibility split between display and print, so that things can be seen in Publisher but not printed, as well as the opposite: things that will print but not be seen in Publisher.

Obviously, the preview mode in Publisher should switch to showing what will print rather than what is normally "visible"...

19 minutes ago, fde101 said:

the preview mode in Publisher should switch to showing what will print rather than what is normally "visible"...

... and it should hide, optionally or not,  the transparency grid which only can get activated via the checkbox hidden in "Document Setup..." > "Colour" > "Transparent background".

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only

Another +1 for this feature. 

In my architectural presentations/portfolios I tend(ed) to use a no-print layer with notes for what I needed to talk about on that 'slide' on it, or notes about possible rearrangements of images if I was printing to then cut+mount. This way near deadlines, if I'd been up for three days running on caffeine and anxiety, there was no chance I'd print out my notes to self. I always have a 'no-print' layer or two in my CAD files too, which I use for construction geometry and notes and reference drawings - that way I can see them and snap to them but they won't print even if I forget to turn them off...  I didn't realise this wasn't, well, a standard layout feature until just now - I'm putting together a presentation on my first project for my MArch! I've only used InDesign (in terms of dedicated print layout software) prior to using Affinity Publisher, though. 

Edited by Etheiy

• 1 month later...

Another +1 from me.

Came here looking help on where to activate this in Designer only to discover this thread.

Having reference objects/layers visible but not printable/exportable is extremely useful and something I rely on in other programs.

Hope we get this feature soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Whenever they get to the "global layer" concept, I would hope that it would come with the ability to exclude layers from printing.

For what it is worth, the export persona in Designer does allow the possibility to allow layers to be excluded from export, which seems to me a similar concept, so perhaps the idea of what this thread is proposing is not so foreign to Serif's way of thinking.

On 6/8/2020 at 11:52 PM, garrettm30 said:

For what it is worth, the export persona in Designer does allow the possibility to allow layers to be excluded from export, which seems to me a similar concept, so perhaps the idea of what this thread is proposing is not so foreign to Serif's way of thinking.

This was Serif's way of thinking in the days of PagePlus. PagePlus, the forerunner to Publisher had layers you could write on, draw on do anything on and turn the printing of these layers, OFF.  So you could use them as guides for allsorts of things.  I used to set up master pages with left and right written on them in a very pale grey so when using single page documents to create a booklet or something, I would know which master went where and the layer with the writing on it was set NOT to print.  The rest of the master page was printable.

This should be brought back and made available in Publisher in a future update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Indeed +1

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.