Julio Ferrari

Affinity Publisher - How to put an image inside in irregular shapes.

Hello guys. Congratulations for this excellent new App. It`s new, but it delivers almost everything a text editor needs to have and it's all very handy and practical to use. It`s a clean UX.
I have a doubt, it is possible to insert an image inside an irregular shape, drawn by a path for example. In this first Beta version, I did not find this tool. I think this would be essential and useful in this software.

Thank`s tudor, but with this method "Mask to Below", I can`t edit the position or size, after I make the mask.

Thank you A_B_C! With this method it is posible edit after that I placed the imagem, included edit the nodes of my shape. That`s I wanted! Thank you both!

6 hours ago, A_B_C said:

You can just draw your shape with the pen tool (or any other shape tool) and select Layer > Convert to Picture Frame. Then place your image. :)

Thank you! This answers the question I have posed a couple of times, about being able to isolate a portion of an image.The frame of the original then needs to be cropped, and the two grouped before you can move the picture around the page. But this is a good and quick solution, much easier than what I have to do in InDesign.

However, dealing with images in Publisher Beta remains a far-from-satisfying experience.

Oh, thanks for pointing this out. I was driving crazy to do that because it's so different from Photoshop.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia GTX 780
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404, Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404