You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

An attempt to run Affinity Designer on Linux via Wine

GIMP is not even close to being a excelent product. It lacks acceptance because due to it's pretty bad usability it's no fun to use it.

I think one reason might be that there are many volunteer devs to code the tool but less or no UX eperts to get it right.

I hope one day a rich man will make a generous donation to help the project coming closer to something like Affinity.

I believe open source is important and I'm thsnkful these projects exist but sadly GIMP, Inkscape and Scribus fall really short compared to their commetcial competitors and that's mostly because they are hard to use and tooling is cumbersome.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

11 hours ago, BestestGrandad said:

I duly stand corrected.

Strange that they don't mention 64bit when they specifically mention 32 but there you go.

Looks like tomorrow will be spent building another machine and see how far I can get :)
If I get it to work I'll let you know.

Good luck :)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 1/24/2019 at 7:29 AM, ivan lavosky said:

How did you do that? 

I've just installed Wine 4 and didn't even manage to install it at the first place

image.png.c76251fcc116c11de5f62f82fc0b3536.png

I installed Affinity Designer using my windows tablet and then I put the contents of C:\Program Files\Affinity into a self-extracting archive via 7-zip then moved that executable to my Linux machine

14 minutes ago, ꜱᴩʀɪᴛᴇ➀ said:

I installed Affinity Designer using my windows tablet and then I put the contents of C:\Program Files\Affinity into a self-extracting archive via 7-zip then moved that executable to my Linux machine

I would not expect that to work. I think that you would need to copy the installer to someplace where it can be accessed from Wine, and run the installer under Wine. If you simply take the Affinity directory over after install you lose anything that is saved in the Windows Registry, as well as anything user-specific that is saved in your Appdata\Local\Roaming\Affinity directory.

The Affinity applications, like most Windows applications, are not designed as portable applications and have files and settings located in a number of scattered places on your system.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

48 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I think that you would need to copy the installer to someplace where it can be accessed from Wine, and run the installer under Wine.

As stated by the person I quoted, the installer outright refuses to even run on WINE to begin with so this is the next best option I can think of. I could also potentially use virtualization containers such as Cameyo or VMWare ThinApps to make absolutely sure that all the install files are in there, but I'm a bit positive that that's all it installs. It seems to be erroring out on doing some Direct X calls when I look at the debug log so it might be something related to WINE's configuration itself

1 hour ago, ꜱᴩʀɪᴛᴇ➀ said:

As stated by the person I quoted, the installer outright refuses to even run on WINE to begin with so this is the next best option I can think of. I could also potentially use virtualization containers such as Cameyo or VMWare ThinApps to make absolutely sure that all the install files are in there, but I'm a bit positive that that's all it installs. It seems to be erroring out on doing some Direct X calls when I look at the debug log so it might be something related to WINE's configuration itself

not sure but you could try an app like https://portableapps.com/ to make it "portable"

Installation works flawlessly even from exe binary file (need to override concrt140 after installation), but I think there are some D3D10 functions missing.
DXVK works with gdi (no artifacts), but there is no function for some effects library.

unimplemented function d3d10.dll.D3D10StateBlockMaskEnableAll

See: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/657#issuecomment-423802952
However, I found this: https://source.winehq.org/WineAPI/d3d10.html

After overriding d3d10 it just crashes on

wine err: Failed to create surface

Without dxvk

0042:err:d3d:context_restore_gl_context Failed to restore GL context 0x63000 on device context 0x1c00080, last error 0x6.

I think the only solution without any help from Serif, would be implementing those missing functions in dxvk.

I'm not a c/c++ dev, but I'd like to play with it. Unfortunatelly, out of time atm. Maybe Serif could help? 

4 hours ago, ꜱᴩʀɪᴛᴇ➀ said:

How did you get around the Exception: ResourceSection bug when launching the installer in WINE?

Didn't encounter it.

But I have staging wine (latest). Arch Linux user. 

multilib/wine-staging 4.0-2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/13/2019 at 2:32 PM, mvlad said:

Anyone tried with wine 4.1?

The problem is not in wine actually, but https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/785

1. Someone tries to port the api
  2. Serif switch from that effects api
  3. They show us some love and make frankenstein build that uses some of the macos stuff (opengl I guess instead of d3d10) that we could run in wine or directly bundled with wine in flatpak.
  4. They provide community source to make it work (something like WPS office)
  5. They make pure native port

It's not much we can do.

• 1 month later...
Just now, Fatih19 said:

Is usability and UI still a huge issue now for GIMP and Inkscape? I use Linux and this how GIMP looks now. I switched a couple months ago. Inkscape also look like this, pretty much.Screenshot-20190519083222-2559x1439.thumb.png.d28f1bad327a2d3e1aa93d28c11645fe.png

Tbh in terms of ui, while that is better than before, I'd still use gravit over that kind of ui. Of course gravit is a valid vector app choice for Linux right now (and one of the strongest imo) but affinity is beyond that.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 6:05 PM, foxie said:

The problem is not in wine actually, but https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/785

Affinity Designer rely heavily on D3D10 Effects which are not currently implemented [in DXVK]

Perhaps this is relevant?

DXVK is now expanding to support Direct3D 10 over Vulkan in Wine. [T]he Effects API is not currently supported. To use it, you will need the `d3dcompiler_43.dll`, which can be grabbed by using `winetricks`.

Source: gamingonlinux.com

Winetricks installs version 43 only, so you need to find other versions of d3dcompiler somewhere, place them to system32 (64-bit versions) and syswow64 (32-bit versions) and override them in winecfg.

Source: github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2019 at 1:14 PM, xam said:

Sorry, but this instruction does not work with the latest version of Affinity Designer. In my free time I will look at the problem again - maybe there has been some progress, just like in the topic  Running Affinity on Linux (Finally works).

• 1 year later...
On 1/24/2019 at 1:32 AM, ubiquity said:

It seems Affinity is making inroads into Adobe's hold on the "in industry" market - despite being excellent products GIMP and Inkscape still don't have the industry acceptance that Affinity has developed in a remarkably short time. Unfortunately I think Affinity development resources are probably spread to thin to support porting to Linux in the near future.

While I can use GIMP I think it isn't as intuitive as Affinity Photo. Inkscape for me has exactly the same problem. I haven't tried this particular WINE install of affinity, but I hope it works.