You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: how an item becomes a "snapping candidate"?

• Staff

When working a complex drawing it would be handy to be able to select one shape to always stay a candidate, or never become a candidate.  My drawing has hundreds of shapes all intertwined and I seem to spend a lot of time hovering.

Alex, I'm assuming you are kidding on that suggestion!  :o

Not a bad idea.  I can look into it.  Certainly, the option to never snap to certain objects would be easy enough - that could also be a persisted option, per object.  The option to keep an object as a snapping candidate would need some thought.  I don't want to add new UI panels to cater for snapping candidates.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 11 months later...
  • Staff

Hi bodich,

There will be improvements to the snapping in the next Beta 1.5.

In the current Beta it's not possible to remove candidates.

Regarding the second question, can you be more specific or post a small video of what are you doing?

Are you aware of the local snapping options for the Pen and Node tools in the context toolbar?

Woah! I did not realize this was how snapping worked! I was having so much trouble getting things to snap together - probably because this technique does NOT work with my Wacom tablet. When I am dragging an object and hover over another object I wish to snap to... nothing happens. Possibly because the tablet pen is never still enough, even if the cursor doesn't appear to move.

On my wishlist: better tablet support, the ability to remove snapping candidates (maybe they fade over time), and the ability to show all snapping candidates but only when dragging.

Woah! I did not realize this was how snapping worked! I was having so much trouble getting things to snap together - probably because this technique does NOT work with my Wacom tablet. When I am dragging an object and hover over another object I wish to snap to... nothing happens. Possibly because the tablet pen is never still enough, even if the cursor doesn't appear to move.

On my wishlist: better tablet support, the ability to remove snapping candidates (maybe they fade over time), and the ability to show all snapping candidates but only when dragging.

Same here. Snapping works when I use my mouse.

However, when I use my Wacom tablet, snapping is the opposite.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm encountering these same layering issues with snapping - seems it's not possible to snap to objects below an existing snapping candidate. So far I've been managing it by hiding / showing layers and sorting the object stack, but it's not ideal.

Is there an issue with allowing the addition of candidates through / below existing candidates? Otherwise perhaps a way to remove them as discussed above...