You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: how an item becomes a "snapping candidate"?

• Staff

Hi VectorCat

If Show snapping candidates is checked in View ▹ Snapping Manager, the item will be highlighted with a purple outline when you mouse over it, meaning you can now snap to it. If you move other objects near the snapping candidates you should see snapping guidelines appear to help you position the object.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What about when this doesn't work? There are lots of times when I have an object I want to be a snapping candidate and it simply does not highlight and become a snapping candidate when I mouse over it. Some items work, others don't. Very buggy, would like to be able to explicity choose a snapping candidate for when the hover detection fails (which in my experience is often).

00Ghz, it looks like you are trying to get the large rectangle to snap to the other rectangle while you are dragging the original object. The problem is that the snapping candidates have to be identified by hovering with the mouse before you pick up the object you want to align, not during the drag, once it's already selected....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Well in AI and PS I can drag and it will snap whatever I do. I don’t have to think about it. 

While manually selecting the snapping candidate before copying might present some benefits, overall I find it cumbersome to a fast workflow. Snapping should work fine regardless of what I am doing. 

Edit: It seems after some testing that while Cmd + Dragging an object over some other object, it will make that object beneath a snapping candidate as intended if you press either shift of control. However the behaviour is very inconsistent and only works about 1/3 of the time. So I still consider this a bug.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

• Staff

00Ghz, it looks like you are trying to get the large rectangle to snap to the other rectangle while you are dragging the original object. The problem is that the snapping candidates have to be identified by hovering with the mouse before you pick up the object you want to align, not during the drag, once it's already selected....

@roonyb,

It also works during the drag - with a single object, a duplicated object (cmd+drag) or a group of objects -.

Good to know MEB!

@roonyb,

It also works during the drag - with a single object, a duplicated object (cmd+drag) or a group of objects -.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

Hi @00Ghz

I'm sorry about the trouble. Holding over the object (or edges if there's no fill) of an object should add it to the snapping candidates list. I've checked your video again. I believe you are doing things too fast, i mean, the mouse shouldn't move while the object is being detected. If you keep the mouse moving the detection doesn't start.
I´ve checked on a Yosemite system as well and it's working fine there too. Here's a video using your file.

Can you try again, stopping the mouse completely over the object until the purple line appears? Maybe this is just a case of fine tuning the timing. Are you using  a Wacom tablet or similar device?

• 1 month later...

My problem is that I want to Unmake an object snappable! I have a large rectangle at the back of my scene that has inadvertently become a snapping candidate and is now preventing the objects that I actually want to snap to, in the foreground, from becoming snapping candidates :L
I have tried 'only snap to visible objects' and hiding the offending layer, but I just can't get this rectangle to shut up and leave me alone!
So, my question is this - is there anything I can to do clear the snapping candidates?
Thanks
Wayne

Hi Wayne, this is currently not possible … I have asked this myself in the past …  :)

But there will be improvements in the future according to Ben …

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4015-snapping-candidates/?p=16483

But wait, you can simply hover over six other objects … since the list of snapping candidates does only hold six objects at a time … 

• Staff

Just mouse over other objects until that rectangle is removed from the snapping candidates list. The maximum number of snapping candidates is six, so as soon as those are filled up Affinity will start removing them from the first to be able to add new objects.

As A_B_C said this should be improved later.

Thanks guys, but the large offensive rectangle is currently the only snapping candidate, and because it is covering the whole page, it appears to be blocking everything else from becoming a candidate. I've finally resorted to simply moving it out of the way - unfortunately, although I am now able to add more candidate, and as you say, remove the offending from the list, I am still unable to make the circle that I actually want to snap to a candidate D:

When working a complex drawing it would be handy to be able to select one shape to always stay a candidate, or never become a candidate.  My drawing has hundreds of shapes all intertwined and I seem to spend a lot of time hovering.

Alex, I'm assuming you are kidding on that suggestion!  :o

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra