You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing Master Page items to editable items

Is there any way to change an item that is a Master Page item, into an editable item, from within a page that has a Master Page applied?
For example, I create a Master Page item that is a centered framed text box that is formatted but has no text or just a placeholder text. In InDesign, if I recall correctly, I could Command+click (or Command+double click) and the element that was part of the Master Page would become a regular page item, ready for editing.
Is this possible?

I'll second that. I'd expect to be able to right click the Page icon in Pages Studio and select Override All Master Items.
An improvement over that would be to be able to override some specific Master page items instead of all of them. I suppose that would require making some way to select a Master item on a page it's applied to. Normally of course you can't select it.

59 minutes ago, rui_mac said:

Is there any way to change an item that is a Master Page item, into an editable item, from within a page that has a Master Page applied?

Yes. With the page selected, the Layers panel will show the applied master page at the bottom of the layer stack, and it will be locked. Unlock it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I agree, there should be way to create individual content to master page elements but not in a way it is done in a pageplus x9. It has "promote from master page" but ie. moving object in a master page do not relocate promoted object. Objects should still belong to master page even they have individual content and rellocate/resize with master page.

Edited by tommij
Trying to fix my terrible english

• 11 months later...
14 minutes ago, Kathy Metcalfe said:

I have just changed some footer text on my Master Page and the footer text within the document has not changed - anyone got any ideas why that is?   

One possibility would be that you have previously edited the text directly on a document page, "detaching" it from the Master page.

Your question is not really the same one this topic was talking about, and probably deserves a topic of its own, by the way, rather than being part of this old discussion.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1. My master page at the bottom of the Layers panel is *unlocked* but my doc windows are still locked. No way to unlock anything (top layer or sublayers) in this master page at the bottom of the Layers panel.

2. I then *lock* this master page layer, and my doc windows of course remains locked.

3. Then I *unlock* this master page layer and my doc windows are unlocked.

4. After I edit the page, go else where and come back I must go through this again ... and then again ... and then again....

This is time consuming. Is it normal or am I missing something? Is there any way to release the page from its master for good?

10 minutes ago, Jim Monson said:

Is there any way to release the page from its master for good?

Right click on the Master Layer and choose Edit Detached then move the items you want out of the Master Page Layer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks! This worked but I would like a video that explained just how the Master Page works in detail. E.g., I find that in an apparently "locked" text box (with small "x" in each corner) I can actually edit a text that I copy from ID doc and entered in a multi-page AffPub doc. Thus it appears the the locking has to do only with what was created in the Master Page and applied to a normal page. However, even though I have only created one Master Page in a "facing page" doc, I have two Master Pages, no doubt a Master Page for each page in a two-page spread. I find that I must use "Edit Detached" in each separate page of each spread. 

Knowing how well Affinity thinks of making things intuitive for us, it would be helpful if there were a video explaining all of the variations that the designers have worked into AffPub. Often I find things that are a little confusing only to finds that once again Affinity has carefully thought through the process and made it much better. Does such a video exist? 

10 hours ago, Jim Monson said:

it would be helpful if there were a video explaining all of the variations that the designers have worked into AffPub. Often I find things that are a little confusing only to finds that once again Affinity has carefully thought through the process and made it much better. Does such a video exist?  

I guess "all of the variations" are neither possible nor useful in a video. But there is one explaining master page basics in 15 min.

The shortest way to get guided to Affinity tutorials is in the splash screen when launching an Affinitiy app.

And, as with tutorial videos in general, you'll find them with an internet search, for instance "affinity tutorial master page" can guide you there:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/337264378/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks, thomasa. A good video, but for we who have been using desktop publishing programs since Quark first appeared, it would be nice to have a simple list of how Affinity has tried to make master pages more intuitive and useable. This is what I meant by all of the variations—rather than something like explaining every note and relationship in a Bach fugue.

2 hours ago, Jim Monson said:

list how Affinity has tried to make master pages more intuitive and useable.

Good point. I haven't met such a list or visual description yet.

Just in case you might not have experienced yourself yet, to me the main differences towards other apps are:
– you can assign more than 1 master page to a document page
– master pages can have different page dimensions than document pages
– if you assign a master page you don't assign its page dimensions

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 3 months later...

When I went to my layers panel the Master Page was already unlocked, but I could not edit the Master elements on an individual page. So I created a second Mater (Master B) and added the element I wanted to appear. I then went back to the Layers panel and "right-clicked" on Master Page B. From there, I selected "Edit Detached," made my changes and clicked the red "Finish" button that appears at the top of the window and saved my work. It worked perfectly! Now, Master A  applies to all pages, Master B applies to a few of the pages, and using "Edit Detached" (from the Layers Panel), I was able to make modifications that Master B added, to individual pages. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 12.37.41 PM.png

• 4 months later...

I have a problem with this. I added a page to the file and it mixed up the text box positions so that the head is misaligned. The layer panel doesn't show the text panel as locked but I can't move it. Had to solve the problem by CONTROL CLICK the master page in Layers and selecting Edit Detached.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 11.45.58 am.png

• 5 months later...
27 minutes ago, Steeelman said:

Yes. With the page selected, the Layers panel will show the applied master page at the bottom of the layer stack, and it will be locked. Unlock it.

How do you edit the items if the layer is already unlocked?

In the Layers panel Right Click on the Master Page and choose Edit Detached from the context menu.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.