You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't update 'missing' linked images

Enjoying it so far, thanks Affinity!

One issue - I placed an image on a page, used the Resource Manager to link it (switching off the embedding) and then moved the image to another folder on my disk.

Resource Manager now shows the image as "Missing" (as I would expect) but the Update and Locate buttons have no effect and don't let me re-link the image.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

You would have to use the Replace button to relocate the image. 

Update is for changes made to linked/embedded images

Locate locates an image in the document (more obvious with multiple pages)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

11 hours ago, StuartRc said:

You would have to use the Replace button to relocate the image. 

Thanks! That more or less answers a question I had not yet found time to ask or check for myself, that being if linked files use MacOS aliases to keep track of files that are moved from one location to another.

That would be a nice refinement but I don't know if there is a Windows equivalent....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

if linked files use MacOS aliases to keep track of files that are moved from one location to another.

I created an alias to an image, embedded the alias into an APub document, changed the Placement to Linked, and then changed the name of the original image file.

APub immediately popped up a message that the image had been modified, and the Resource Manager showed the image (and its original name) as "Missing".

I then replaced the alias (still with its original name), and changed it from Embedded to  Linked. The Resource Manager now displayed the modified name of the original file. 

I then moved the original file to another folder. The same thing happened - the image was reported as modified, and the Resource Manager showed the image as "Missing". Re-embedding and re-linking brought up the correct file path to the original (not the alias) in the Resource Manager.

So at the moment it doesn't look as though APub tracks OSX aliases. It would be good if it did!

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.