You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Column Gutters

Trying to create a 6 col. newspaper page. How the heck do you change the gutter width?

This just the first thing I can't figure out. I've produced stuff in Quark XPress PageMaker and Indesign since forever and this program is even less intuitive than Scribus, at least for publication production.

In my never humble opinion your tutorials are laughable and useless. Maybe you should get someone that actually uses a publishing program to explain things.

Gutter Width is editable from the Text Frame Panel [ATL+T] or View/Studio/Text Frame

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

As clearly shown in the Columns tutorial you use View > Studio > Text Frame, and you'll find the Gutter setting(s) in the Columns section.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It is not clear. It may be if I was viewing the thing on a 30" monitor but the black UI style is unreadable to my old eyes.

Now that I have seen the setting, I must say it is very cumbersome. There needs to be a way to change all the gutters at once and not change the text box size. Or the gutter setting should be an integral part of the initial setup like Quark and Indesign

I hope you don't taker offense at my criticism, just that it is very exciting to be a beta tester on another layout program. I bettad InDesign 2, Quark 5 and some other stuff. Good job so far but you have along way to go.

7 minutes ago, PeteV1945 said:

There needs to be a way to change all the gutters at once and not change the text box size.

I have not tried it yet, and am not at my computer right now, but I recall a "balance page" option in that panel. I wonder if that might do what you want?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, PeteV1945 said:

There needs to be a way to change all the gutters at once and not change the text box size.

Agreed. The only way I can see to do it is to reduce the number of columns in the text frame (say six) to one, then increase to two, then type in the gutter width that you want, then set the number of columns back to the original number. Which is a bit cludgy.

@walt.farrell: the "Balance columns" checkbox doesn't appear to do anything in this situation. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.