You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hairline Stroke Width

On 10/13/2022 at 6:28 PM, Bob Bobertson said:

Are we still waiting for the implementation of hairline stroke? I can't find it anywhere. I also had to move the design to another application so that I could laser cut. Please add this feature. Thanks. 

I agree. This feature is nessecary. Without it I need to go back to Illustrator or Corel. I also could not change the width of the brush stroke to 0,001 mm. Can anybody help or knows a work-around?

So Affinity is useless with a laser cutter. :(

Hi @Fatu

Go to Edit -> Preferences -> User Interface.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 6:15 PM, Komatös said:

Hi @Fatu

Go to Edit -> Preferences -> User Interface.

And what? I don't see v2 operating with hairline strokes either (check the stroke panel, you can't select it).

We are not talking about something looking like a hairline on screen, but that hairlines are used in Affinity.

Definition: Hairline is used to refer to a hairline rule, the thinnest graphic rule (line) printable on a specific output device.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

Hi @François R

Set the Decimal Places for Unit Types: Points to 3 

And be shure you have ticked Show Lines in Points

image.png.4eceb270c6df9c967ab7dac09425b6bf.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Yes, but a hairline is not a specific number or the smallest number. It is metadata - let me quote the good @sfriedberg:

Yes, "hairline" is a device-dependent width.  It is the thinnest width a given device is capable of rendering, and therefore will be different for different devices

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.

A hairline is the thinnest line that can be produced on a device.  If you are printing at 300dpi, it would be 1/300th of an inch; if you are printing at 600dpi, it would be 1/600th of an inch.

This means that the width of the line is indeed device-dependent, and I am not aware of a way to produce this setting in the Affinity products.

21 hours ago, François R said:

And what?

It takes a bit of perception of the context of the posts.

On 11/14/2022 at 4:22 PM, Fatu said:

I also could not change the width of the brush stroke to 0,001 mm. Can anybody help or knows a work-around?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 11/14/2022 at 4:22 PM, Fatu said:

I also could not change the width of the brush stroke to 0,001 mm

You can.
But you cannot see the value unless you change Preferences > User Interface > Decimal Places > mm (it's not a bug though, rather a conceptual flaw…)
To be in full controll, for my regularly used units (px, pt, mm, °), I'm always keeping the setting at full 6 decimal points.

But even then, if you're using e.g. the Pencil tool, the Width field in the contextual toolbar will round down the display of the value to "0" pt. You have to use and watch the Stroke panel instead, to set and always see the accurate value.

The thinnest stroke I was able to create is 0.000001 pt.
Even at 20000000 % (!) zoom it's barely visible:

aff_thinnest_stroke_width.png.10823f138693808bd34cd2af64489865.png

The actual problem might be:
What to do with such a thin line?
It won't export as PDF (error), but SVG export works. *)

*) edit:
Reopening the previously exported SVG in Designer now shows the stroke width as 0.000004 pt, so that's apparently the limit with SVG. Still, that's amazingly thin! 

Edited by loukash

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

33 minutes ago, Horseflesh said:

If a laser cutter needs a "hairline" to denote a cut line, can that be simulated with a manual stroke width, or do we need some other "hairline=true" bit for proper support?

That's the $0.000001 question.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Let us consult the PostScript Language Reference, third edition

Page 675, https://www.pdfa.org/norm-refs/PLRM.pdf

setlinewidth num setlinewidth

sets the line width parameter in the graphics state to num. This parameter controls the thickness of lines to be drawn by subsequent invocations of stroke and related operators, such as rectstroke and ustroke. When stroking a path, stroke paints all points whose perpendicular distance from the path in user space is less than or equal to half the absolute value of num.

The effect produced in device space depends on the current transformation matrix (CTM) in effect at the time the path is stroked. If the CTM specifies scaling by different factors in the x and y dimenMiter join Round join Bevel join 8.2 Operator Details 675 sions, the thickness of stroked lines in device space will vary according to their orientation.

A line width of 0 is acceptable, and is interpreted as the thinnest line that can be rendered at device resolution—1 device pixel wide. However, some devices cannot reproduce 1-pixel lines, and on high-resolution devices, they are nearly invisible.

Since the results of rendering such “zero-width” lines are device-dependent, their use is not recommended. The actual line width achieved by stroke can differ from the requested width by as much as 2 device pixels, depending on the positions of lines with respect to the pixel grid. Automatic stroke adjustment (see setstrokeadjust) can be used to ensure uniform line width.

In other words, you use hairline when you know what you are doing and you know which output device you are doing it for. But that's how it's stored in Postscript/PDF.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not having this feature is the one thing that is stopping me from moving my lab from Corel to Affinity. I can personally figure out the hairline width for each of my lasers, but having to explain to students that they need to swap for each one is just not worth the effort. 

I would love to see a hairline feature added to Affinity!

• 1 year later...
On 10/13/2022 at 11:28 AM, Bob Bobertson said:

Are we still waiting for the implementation of hairline stroke? I can't find it anywhere. I also had to move the design to another application so that I could laser cut. Please add this feature. Thanks. 

they added a hairline view mode but it changes all strokes to hairline viewing and its just viewing. so it is basically useless