You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I guess Affinity in it’s awesomness would come up with something even better :)
In my workflow I often come to the point where I say to myself: “I must not forget to change this before exporting”. I guess I’m not the only one. How about a panel that stores automatically generated (like Preflight) and custom notes that will popup before exporting. 

For example I get a photo from my client that is blurry and not ideal for production, but it has enough DPI for the given size. A Preflight-system won’t catch this. But If I could associate a note with that element and add some text like “get better photo from client before production”, then Affinity could warn me on export. Maybe a bad example, but I come across such situations every day. 

Unlike Publisher Photo and Designer are already main tools in my daily work. I still check every pdf with Acrobat before sending it to the printing company though. (Publisher will complete the trio soon.)

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

Preflight is nice and even needed tool, but I could not consider it core functionality. It can wait version 1.x.

As you see this is not version 1.0 of Publisher. It is version 1.7 - because a vast amount of the code in Publisher is from Designer and Photo v1.0 - 1.7.

17.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 4:13 PM, Fixx said:

Preflight is nice and even needed tool, but I could not consider it core functionality. It can wait version 1.x.

Strongly disagree, preflight is a MUST HAVE FEATURE. If people actually used preflight they would catch so many problems before sending their files out to a printer. Indesigns preflight is customizable, I have various preflight profiles based no the type of work I am doing. It is the easiest and fastest way to get an overview of your job and let you know any issues. Be it overset text, colour issues, whatever, it is incredibly important and a must have functional tool for any pro work. 

On 8/30/2018 at 10:32 PM, rcheetah said:

How about a panel that stores automatically generated (like Preflight) and custom notes that will popup before exporting. 

For example I get a photo from my client that is blurry and not ideal for production, but it has enough DPI for the given size. A Preflight-system won’t catch this. But If I could associate a note with that element and add some text like “get better photo from client before production”, then Affinity could warn me on export. Maybe a bad example, but I come across such situations every day. 

Great idea - some sort of preflight def needed - but I love this in addition, frequently get too lo-res images and immediately ask client to get better, but in the mean time I work on a draft with the lo-res - a note to remind me to swap it would be ace.

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/1/2018 at 4:03 PM, Johannes said:

Unlike Publisher Photo and Designer are already main tools in my daily work. I still check every pdf with Acrobat before sending it to the printing company though. (Publisher will complete the trio soon.)

How do you check overlapping text like that?

Alexander Walther, Informationsdesigner B.A.

On 10/16/2019 at 7:25 PM, alexplus_de said:

How do you check overlapping text like that?

I have no way to do this particular task With Acrobat. I use Acrobat to check resoultions, color spaces, spot colors, fonts, pdf standards and much more. (I use Publisher for real projects since it is out of beta.)

The best way I have right now to check overlapping text is by unchecking View/Preview Mode and check View/Show Text Flow.

This seems to work pretty well (Publisher 1.7.3)

Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-18 um 10.39.36.png

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil