You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

You may have already addressed this, as I just downloaded the Beta today and have only gone through the tuts.  Since I didn't see these mentioned, I thought I'd touch on them.

In the tut on Text Styling, it explained changing a text or character style using the 'Update Paragraph Style' button or the 'Update Character Style' button.  It struck me that it might be helpful if one could create new styles (both paragraph and character) in addition to just changing an existing style.

It would also be helpful if all styles could be exportable/importable, so as to be usable in other documents than the one in which such new styles are created.  Also/Or, if any newly created styles could be allowed persistence in the app's installation once created, it could save a lot of production time and effort.

Just thinking aloud.

Thanks,

RickyO

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
(Still stumbling along given too many directions at any given moment)
Windows10 platform

You can create new styles.

1. At the base of the Text Styles panel, see the leftmost 3 icons, for creating a new paragraph, character, or group style.
  2. Also, with a text style selected in the list, you can use its settings ("hamburger") icon to duplicate a style or create a style based on that style, which will also allow you to provide a style name.

The hamburger menu for the Test Styles panel allows one to import styles from an existing .afpub, .afphoto, or .afdesign file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, RickyO said:

[...] if any newly created styles could be allowed persistence in the app's installation once created, it could save a lot of production time and effort.

Like you can with swatches - create as Document, Application or System level.

13 hours ago, Wireman said:

Like you can with swatches - create as Document, Application or System level.

Thank you!

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

5 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

You can import text styles from other documents, and set the current styles as the default for new documents.

Thank you!

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

3 minutes ago, Wireman said:

That's good, but I'm still thinking folks are gonna want templates.

Templates probably won't come soon, as users have been asking for them for awhile now for Designer and Photo and we've seen no sign of them yet.

In the meantime, template files are (in my opinion) easily created and managed manually right now by anyone who wants one. Build a document of the form and basic content (styles, etc.) that you want, save it as a .afpub file in a folder where you'll store your templates. Use your OS functions to make it read-only if you want to be sure you won't accidentally overwrite it, and you're done. When you need a document that matches that template, File > Open... (or Open Recent), pick the right template file, then immediately use File > Save As... to save it under a working .afpub name in a working (not template) directory. (Or, if you're going to be Exporting it reasonably soon, and don't want to save a .afpub file for later, you can skip the Save As step.)

Would it be easier to use something like File > New From Template...? Sure. But in my opinion it's not much harder to use File > Open, and you don't have to wait for Serif to provide the function. And, frankly, I'd rather they devote their time to implementing something I can't already do myself :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

47 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Templates probably won't come soon, as users have been asking for them for awhile now for Designer and Photo and we've seen no sign of them yet.

In the meantime, template files are (in my opinion) easily created and managed manually right now by anyone who wants one. Build a document of the form and basic content (styles, etc.) that you want, save it as a .afpub file in a folder where you'll store your templates. Use your OS functions to make it read-only if you want to be sure you won't accidentally overwrite it, and you're done. When you need a document that matches that template, File > Open... (or Open Recent), pick the right template file, then immediately use File > Save As... to save it under a working .afpub name in a working (not template) directory. (Or, if you're going to be Exporting it reasonably soon, and don't want to save a .afpub file for later, you can skip the Save As step.)

Would it be easier to use something like File > New From Template...? Sure. But in my opinion it's not much harder to use File > Open, and you don't have to wait for Serif to provide the function. And, frankly, I'd rather they devote their time to implementing something I can't already do myself :)

All good. Addresses "templates". Doesn't address "folks are gonna want". #justSaying

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 8:13 PM, Wireman said:

All good. Addresses "templates". Doesn't address "folks are gonna want". #justSaying

Well put!

We can see the HUGE response they are receiving to the beta.  Just thankful they're offering the opportunity!

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform