You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

problems with diacritics

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 8:19 AM, Chris_K said:

Hi eluengo

This is a known issue on Mac. Thanks for reporting this

First: I'm in love with Publisher.

About the bug, I don't have this problems in any other app. Even in Designer and Photo it works perfectly. It's happening only in Publisher Beta. We usually type ' followed by the letter to get what we need, for instance: ' + a = á

I thought I would post here since it seems to be the closest. When using the Thai language it uses a placeholder character (which is often used in teaching about the vowels used in Thai which appears "around" the main character). 

If I paste the same text into any other app, it pastes correctly, just not in Publisher.

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 4.42.41 pm.png

The two characters following the first character should appear above and below the first character as in this next screenshot

715478759_ScreenShot2018-09-16at4_49_26pm.png.b2d4adab5251992b5eeb58d26a1b57cf.png

I am on 1.7.0.58

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Fred Lespine said:

1. Same happen here. A lot of issues in French. Make it impossible to use Publisher. :(

2. I have troubles with diacritics, mostly accents, since the beginning, the first beta released.

3. Now, it got worse on the last update, I just cannot type some characters (e.g. ' ). The keyboard doesn't match the letter on the screen. I can copy/paste the text with the TextEdit app (it mysteriously works, paste is OK) but it's definitely not convenient.

4. And I'm pretty sure it comes from a recent update since I reopen some files I did months ago and there where OK at that time (except some minor accents issues that I fixed manually). But, when I try to update them, I just have a lot of troubles.

1. I'm trying Publisher and loving it. To solve this problem, I use normally. At the end, after typing all I need, I run a SEARCH>REPLACE to remove the wrong characters. It's not the best, but since I'm trying and searching for bugs, I keep going... ;-)

2. Same here.

3. Paste is ok, indeed. Sometimes, when I need to finish the job fast, I do the same. When I'm testing for bugs, I do what I told in 1, above.

4. The last updates just change the wrong character, but the problem persists. Strange is that it doesn't happen in Designer or Photo (well, I'm using the commercial versions, not beta, hope they don't bring the same problem).

Regards.

8 hours ago, Fred Lespine said:

I just cannot type some characters (e.g. ' )

That might be due to your preferences with respect to auto-correct. To type ' instead of » or «, go to Preferences > Auto Correct and disable the option Change straight quotes to typographic quotes:)

Regarding these corrections, they are not very convenient for typ(esett)ing German texts at the moment, and the same will apply for other languages as well.

For instance, in Switzerland you will use guillemets and double single guillemets pointing outwards («text», ‹text›), whereas in Germany they are generally used pointing inwards (»text«, ›text‹). Furthermore, the current substitution rule does not account for the use of standard typographic quotation marks („text“). I would probably suggest that the developers should remove the general substitution rule and add specific substitution rules in the table area below the general rules. These rules will have to be context sensitive and easily adaptable. :)

Edited by A_B_C
Alfred is right … as always

So cool that unchecking that unchecking this little box provided a solution! :)

Though when I have a look at your screencast, I would say the developers should definitely have a look at this issue! :D

Cheers, Alex

3 hours ago, A_B_C said:

For instance, in Switzerland you will use guillemets and double guillemets pointing outwards (‹text›, «text»), whereas in Germany they are generally used pointing inwards (›text‹, »text«).

Just to complicate the issue, (double) guillemets pointing outwards are also used in France, but there are spaces between the guillemets and the enclosed text « comme ça ».

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

They can be simple or double :P

I'm wondering, looking at our Wikipédia page on those… in which texts are use the ‹ français (niché) › shown in the margin !? I don't even know how to type them… Perhaps used in old ways to write quotes or citations (with a "»" at the begining of each line, but this need a trick to do it with our digital apps).

PS. It's the ones that appear in french when writing apostrophes (’)  with the option Change straight quotes to typographic quote.

Edited by Wosven
Added a PS.

This topic seems to have been hijacked a little on autocorrection. I'm glad those people have arrived at a solution, but the essence of the problem is still diacritics. It's great having these community forums, but if the developers aren't taking the advice of the people using their product and addressing the problems we are facing, then what good is the community achieving? Maybe I am cynical, but community forums like this appear to exist just to make the users think developers are listening... They're not. 

I used this product to move through a crisis that needed fixing on short notice, but when we are using a language that uses accents and diacritics and this product doesn't address it, and the developers are not providing any comment or bug fixes/updates on our feedback, then it is serving little purpose. It may appear I'm being negative, I'm not. I came here to address a problem I faced with the software. The community have experienced the same problem, the developers are refusing to address the problem. It is time to move onto a different solution. So in fact I have a positive message: If you need to use diacritics, this product is not for you and is not likely to be addressed in the near future. I base this assumption on the lack of any feedback from the developers. 

I have just downloaded the latest version (v1.7.0) and the problem still persists. I raised it 6 months ago, and the problem was raised a month earlier than that. In this forum there are members, dedicated users, advanced members and moderators, but no Affinity developers. I have forwarded my feedback to them directly and I will await their reply (I don't expect any, but it would be nice). 

One of these images appears correct, one is from Affinity Publisher. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 10.35.08 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 10.34.37 am.png

edit: I came back because I thought I must have copied and pasted the wrong text into Affinity, but after another test it came back like this:

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 10.48.18 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 10.48.07 am.png

40 minutes ago, madivad said:

In this forum there are members, dedicated users, advanced members and moderators, but no Affinity developers.

All moderators in these forums are Serif staff, and among them I have seen Test and Quality Assurance personnel, management, and developers (including the lead product and feature developers).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.