You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Booklet Printing issue

Hi

Great its finally first impressions excellent.

I have a problem with printing a booklet. Create 4 a5 pages, and number, then print as booklet, - the icon shows the right orientation of pages, but no matter what choice I make in double sided it always flips on the long edge. Have been back to PagePlus9 and tried there works as expected autoduplex flip on short side.

Am I missing something?

Thnaks

Michael

falling star - Thanks, yes I can do that but really wanted to 'print out of the box'. Booklet printing was just the start, I need also to do 'N up' printing as a publisher of books, and it is the same with that as well. Hoping this is just a minor glitch in the duplex flip on short side routine which can soon be fixed, that is if I'm not missing something crucial.

The same Problem here! Printing Booklet on a Toshiba eStudio 4555. There it gives the possibility to print booklet. So I setup a Dokument within Publisher A4. Then I choose the right settings, as I always do with other Microsoft or Adobe Products. But AP turn the A4 Portrait in a A3 Portrait and then it makes a booklet. So the A3 pages are stapled togethere in den middle of the A3. But all ist 90 Degree turned.

I wanted to print a 6 page document as single pages. All the settings were set to single-sided but they print as double pages. I had to save it as a PDF, go back to pageplus when it then printed 6 single pages as expected. The printer settings had not changed

I can't print a booklet direct from Affinity Publisher; instead of paginating the booklet as A5 pages on folded A4, it centres a single A5 page on each A4 sheet. I've tried a few of the printer's settings but I feel that shouldn't be necessary anyway as in Page Plus the only thing that I needed to do on the printer itself was to select 2-sided printing and long- or short-edge binding (it's an HP LaserJet P2055dn monochrome laser but obviously the same thing would apply to my OKI colour laser if I tried that).

I'm aware that I can export the document as a PDF but printing PDFs from an iMac with Adobe Acrobat or with the Mac's Preview PDF viewer is a very slow process and can, in the case of Acrobat, result in misplaced pages.

I suspect that it's one of these Mac things and that there is no solution. My theory is that Acrobat and probably Preview too convert each character in the text into an individual vector image but that it uses a painfully slow process to complete this unasked for task. If I could print direct from Affinity Publisher I wouldn't need to delve into the mysteries of Mac and Acrobat.

My request to the development team is please could you find a way of allowing me to print a booklet directly from Affinity Publisher that is as fast and efficient as Page Plus was on my old and far less powerful PC?

(By the way, I love what I've seen of the program so far. I felt totally at home, probably because I've used Page Plus for 15 or more years)

Affinity_booklet_printing.png

The important thing is to choose the appropriate Layout options at the bottom of the Print dialog. With ‘Paper Size’ set to A4 and ‘Model’ set to Booklet, it should preview and print correctly. (I’m on Windows, but I’d be very surprised if the same settings on a Mac yielded different results.)

Edit: I’ve just noticed that the options in your screenshot look different from what I see here. I don’t know whether the ‘PDF’ option (in the box to the left of the ‘Hide Details’ button) has any bearing on this.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred - thank you. I'll give the PDF option a try as I've yet to do that from an Affinity Publisher beta document. I'll see how that turns out with my little Test Booklet; I suspect that it's going to be slow to print, because I'll still have to go through Preview or Acrobat Pro, but it's worth having a go with my back to basics 8-page booklet.

3 hours ago, micornelius said:

Alfred - we've all tried various settings, the question is can you create a booklet from 4 A5 pages? If so what settings have you used please.

I've attached a screenshot of the print dialog for an eight-page booklet, showing the first (8-1) spread. The other three spreads are, as you would expect, 2-7, 6-3 and 4-5.

APub_1-7-0-57_Booklet-8pp.png

Edit: From re-reading your OP, you seem to be having problems with duplex printing. I don't have a duplex printer, so I'm afraid I can't help with that side of things.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Love the beta! am recreating some Pageplus A4 landscape booklets in A.P.   At present it won't print correctly from AP. 

Using Epson XP-610 I am able to work round.

In AP using Scale: 141%.

Double-sided: Single.

In Printer Driver properties.

Page layout tab.

2 sided printng: Auto

Folded booklet: Ticked.

Does this work for other printers?

I've tried exporting as a PDF to print an A5 booklet but, as with printing direct from AP, the A5 artwork gets inserted into the middle of an A4 page.

I've taken a couple of screen shots to show the page size settings and the PDF.

The shot showing the Spread Setup dialogue shows the page as I intended it with the artwork coming almost to the edge of the A5 page.

pdf_size.png

spread_size.png

I was able to print a 4-page booklet (on one A4 sheet), but only by setting the printer drive to booklet and the Affinity to single page.

If Affinity is set to booklet and printer driver to normal A4 then a booklet will also print, but no matter what the FLIP is set to the reverse side print will always be upside down. This seems to indicate that there is some communication problem between Affinity and the printer driver???

The images below show the only settings that produced a booklet. First image is Affinity and second is my printer.
I have been using Microsoft Publisher until now and it seems to behave as expected, so there is some problem here to sort out.

CCP-2018.09.04-003.jpg

CCP-2018.09.04-004.jpg

BenVang, thank you for that workaround. Unfortunately my iMac can't access the HP printer driver, which I'm familiar with from printing on PagePlus from my old PC.

I have PagePlus working in Windows 10 in Parallels on my iMac but again it's unable to access the Windows version of the HP driver.

• 6 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.