You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Table Text Tool Needs Work

The Table Text Tool needs some work. I found a couple of issues:

1. The columns and rows delete one-by-one only, even though multiple rows are selected and the UI states "Row(s)".

2. There isn't an option to set up the table rows and columns. The table is dynamic, which is great, but sometimes the table needs an initial setup.

Do you mean that you want to create a table with X rows and Y columns?

If so, I think it is a two phase operation…

1. Dragging the table to achieve the number of rows and columns that you need, and release the mouse.
    • This is shown in the tooltip.
  2. Now resize the table to be the dimensions that you require.

45501247_Affinity3x3Table.gif.8a76c5ac617bb27677b84b68bc1cd693.gif

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

15 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

Do you mean that you want to create a table with X rows and Y columns?

If so, I think it is a two phase operation…

1. Dragging the table to achieve the number of rows and columns that you need, and release the mouse.
    • This is shown in the tooltip.
  2. Now resize the table to be the dimensions that you require.

45501247_Affinity3x3Table.gif.8a76c5ac617bb27677b84b68bc1cd693.gif

I would like to make two suggestions for a solution:

1. Double-clicking the Text Table Tool to set up the table properties. Example: I've had to set up tables that are 12 columns wide by 3 columns deep. To drag out 12 columns in a width and then to resize the table requires extra steps. Adding specifications before the able is created would be easier for the workflow.

2.In the Table palette, include a space for rows and columns, so the Text Table Tool box will conform to the rows and column needed within the parameters drawn.

Both suggestions seem reasonable to me, hopefully Affinity can improve on the current behaviour which is a little odd.

I was especially surprised that Rows and Columns are not in the Table Panel!

An alternative /  better workflow using the current Table Tool…

1250375740_Affinity12x3Table.gif.94a0107ea5b55ab28b0df96ad3d47142.gif

When changing the number of columns the table width remains the same, but changing rows shrinks the table height. Perhaps the only change needed is an ability to lock the table size?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro