Jump to content
Zbigg

Images linked or embedded?

Recommended Posts

Could not figure out so far - most probably images are being embedded into APublisher document ?

PLEASE consider linking, otherwise larger documents with lots of images would not be usable...


cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64+AmdFX+24GB RAM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TamasC said:

Have a look at this. Official tutorial

Document > Resource Manager.

My bad. I WILL. Thanks you thought it over.

Hope its/would be possible for quick edit in source app: it happens often you have to review linked images, submitted by the authors, replace some of them, adjust/change some etc. Like 'Edit original' in INDD. 


cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64+AmdFX+24GB RAM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BalsallHeathen said:

+1  My vote for 'Edit Original' in right click menu - I use this all the time in InDesign.

+1  Also for embed/link toggle in the toolbar.

Enhancing this productivity thread: Id even say: Drag-and-drop images onto AP window AND /like INDD/ you could then select multiple images AND, holding some control key /CTRL,Shift,Alt/ - align them immediately in even columns/row - see INDD. Linking is priority IMHO. Embedding may have its advantages but it can clogg the app very quickly.


cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64+AmdFX+24GB RAM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would rarely if ever choose to embed images in documents I am working on. I like to keep the document size down during creation and to have all my linked files in one place. But that's just me and I believe users should have that choice - and the easier it is to find and impliment the better.

+1  for Zbigg's drag and drop of images too, especially of multiples and with auto alignment - this is immensly useful in my humble opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zbigg said:

Enhancing this productivity thread: Id even say: Drag-and-drop images onto AP window AND /like INDD/ you could then select multiple images AND, holding some control key /CTRL,Shift,Alt/ - align them immediately in even columns/row - see INDD. Linking is priority IMHO. Embedding may have its advantages but it can clogg the app very quickly.

I agree. Serif will think of something clever, I'm sure. We do need a better a way to manage files placed, linked or embedded in a document.

The funny thing about embedded files though is that, looking at Designer and Photo, I don't think that it would be hard for Publisher to manage a publication of about 1000 embedded images. Designer already does a great job at resource management (CPU, Memory, GPU etc.).

I've imported a catalogue PDF inside made with InDesign into Publisher, it had about 700 embedded 300 DPI resolution images accross 64 pages. Altough it took about 15 seconds to open the file, the performance after that was remarkable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I just discovered great PDF handling /I lost some of my original Indesign files and now can only recover final PDFs/ in APub and have additional question:

- would image linking work similar as Indesign: i.e. when I point to one missing image/refresh the link/-the other ones from that folder get re-linked too ?


cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64+AmdFX+24GB RAM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just doing a test document with several images. I pull them in, and as explained in the tutorial, by default they are embedded. The afpub file when saved is ~45MB.

Following the tutorial instructions, I then set each image file to linked in the Resource Manager (multiple select not working - mentioned elsewhere).

I then save the afpub file again and surprised to see it's still 45MB.

Do a Save As with another file name, but afpub still 45MB.

I then delete all images from the document and resave, this time it's 15kB.

Looks like the embedded files are being cached in the document somehow, even though marked Linked in Resource Manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2018 at 8:27 AM, AlanH said:

Looks like the embedded files are being cached in the document somehow, even though marked Linked in Resource Manager.

My feedback to Serif on this is that I would like files to truly link, and the document stores only an optimized thumbnail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this needs a lot of work. A file that is just 7.3MB in Id (with linked graphics) is nearly 500MB in Publisher! I thought the photos were being embedded, but when I looked at the Resource Manager, it tells me that they're linked!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bobtographer said:

I think this needs a lot of work. A file that is just 7.3MB in Id (with linked graphics) is nearly 500MB in Publisher! I thought the photos were being embedded, but when I looked at the Resource Manager, it tells me that they're linked!

Currently they are always embedded.


Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia GTX 780
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404, Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just tested this with the current Beta 1.7.0.227 for OS X

The empty one page .afpup file has 8 KB

I dragged in a 130 MB .afphoto file.

I open Documents > Resource Manager and see that the file is now linked by default.

I save the .afpup file and it has 95 MB

I change the linked image to embedded, save again and the  .afpup file is still 95 MB.

 

Two issues here 

1) The document size with the linked photo should remain at 8 KB

2) Updates to the linked .afphoto file only appear when I explicitely press Update. That means what I see may not reflect the current state. Updates should appear automatically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 7:22 AM, macmacmac said:

1) The document size with the linked photo should remain at 8 KB

2) Updates to the linked .afphoto file only appear when I explicitely press Update. That means what I see may not reflect the current state. Updates should appear automatically.

I agree with both of these.

Just tested with an existing 32pp publication that we previously produced in InDesign. I created a 32pp layout and just placed the images (no text imported yet). I have a resulting 505MB Publisher file. The InDesign file was 19MB.

I can live with this for testing purposes but for ongoing production it would be a pain to essentially have the space usage of 2 copies of everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 3:22 PM, macmacmac said:

Two issues here 

1) The document size with the linked photo should remain at 8 KB

2) Updates to the linked .afphoto file only appear when I explicitely press Update. That means what I see may not reflect the current state. Updates should appear automatically.

  1. It will never be that small. Once you've put something into the file it will become much bigger. However, when they get linking truly working, it should be much smaller than you see today.
  2. There's a preference for that:
    image.png.8da7e163bf27eb19f7d69a80b0b08406.png

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well never the less.. 

i agree, that the current method of embedding even "linked" files in the document could be a dealbreaker , when it comes to heavy Documents behind some middle size..

Only think of incrementaly saving 10 versions of a 1 gig document...  Horible resources killing....

also. it nearly wouldnt be possible  to  work with such a document..

 

Well Serif, i am sure you are working on this...   you should..   but untill now it looks a bit like a hack.. not a feature..    Pleas make real linked files possible, becaus all bigger Documents would fail to be usable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely want to draw attention to this. I see it as a huge flaw that needs to be addressed. There needs to be a distinct difference between embedding and linking graphics and that difference should be reflected in the file size as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, dotheDVDeed said:

I definitely want to draw attention to this.

Serif is definitely aware of it, and will eventually let us know what they're going to do about it (if anything). It has been discussed since the first beta release of Publisher.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 9:19 AM, OzNate said:

Just tested with an existing 32pp publication that we previously produced in InDesign. I created a 32pp layout and just placed the images (no text imported yet). I have a resulting 505MB Publisher file. The InDesign file was 19MB.

Opened the file created earlier which was 505MB, and replaced all linked images to trigger a true linking. The result is 427MB file. Still bigger than it should be.

Now, these are PSD files so that may make a difference.

I'll have to rebuild the document from scratch in the current version and see if that will change things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, OzNate said:

Now, these are PSD files so that may make a difference

Image files can be linked or embedded. That's, for example, JPG, TIF, and PNG.

Document files are apparently still only embedded. That's .afpub, .afphoto, .afdedign, .psd, .PDF, etc.

Serif knows about that.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Image files can be linked or embedded. That's, for example, JPG, TIF, and PNG.

Document files are apparently still only embedded. That's .afpub, .afphoto, .afdedign, .psd, .PDF, etc.

Serif knows about that.

Oh, ok, so we're only halfway there. That will be interesting. I will test a little more. Kinda funny, space savings from using native document file such as .afphoto or .psd is lost because of the embedding (make a separate .TIF to switch to linking and we're not saving much space). Anyway look forward to further improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×