You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

converting users

I am curious why you are not supporting Corel Draw files at least on the windows platform. millions of users worldwide. how will you get them to convert if you won't support them? also Draws curve creation tools are awesome and bare study and the brushes that can be created in Corel draw are beyond anything else i've seen. I wish your vector brushes were that good. Also, you need a contour tool and much better drop shadows and control of them. I'm very excited about designer so far and have high hopes for your future. Have you noticed the things people seem to like most about designer are the ways in which it is NOT like Illustrator? Just sayin.
Thanks
After the Revolution!

P.S. here's a simple brush scanned, traced, dragged into pallet, done. but i have far more sophisticated ones but I'm not near my pc at the moment. typing on my mac.

Denim seam.png

Switch comp.jpg

For what it's worth, I too am interested in being able to open CorelDraw files in Affinity Design. I didn't see a way to export a file from CorelDraw that would be directly readable by Affinity Design but was able to export to EPS, place into Affinity Designer and then "tweak" the object settings. Not optimal but may overcome an obstacle until such time that a direct CorelDraw to Designer path is offered.

On 8/30/2018 at 2:49 PM, mandor said:

I am curious why you are not supporting Corel Draw files at least on the windows platform.

mandor,

I think that the developers have stated in the past that the reason that they don't support Corel Draw files is because that is a proprietary format and they don't have permission to use it. They could reverse engineer it but the developers don't feel that it is fair to do that (from what I remember) . 

Hokusai

In Corel files is defined specific / proprietary procedures, which Affinity does not do, and therefore can not right interpret / convert them correctly.
Therefore, it is advisable to use some standard format (pdf, eps, svg), in which the procedures and parameters are sufficiently standardized, and thus correct supported.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the info. but I think illustrator can import Corel files ok as long as they don't use too many effects. It is true there are caveats but Corel draw can import illustrator files or open them again with the same sorts of caveats. it can also import layered .psd files with no problem at all. same with pdf's. in fact, Corel draw imports and exports about fifty vector formats and fifty-five raster formats. it's the king of in and out. so to speak. I just wondered, since there are millions of Corel users, why not. it might be easier to recruit them if they can transfer their files. but thank you again for the reply. can't wait to see the next iteration of designer as I quite like it.

....and I can see why they would be interested in switching.....Price!  :) 

'cause I was just wondering...why abandone the environment if it is so perfect... I guess it'd be pricing ? (to clarify: Not a Corel user. Handled it quite in the very old times, tho. But always preferred Freehand, back in the day.). I always liked their easy UI....Loved Corel's, loved Freehand's... hated AI's... but got used to it. Now am in love again with my most often used vector tool's UI (AD ).

( for what I do , the current AD exports are perfect, tho  )

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.