You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create pages for a novel?

Hi,

probably my question is very stupid, but I'm really new to DTP.

I want to format a novel. i watched the tutorial and know how to let text flow from one page to another. But how do I do that, if I have a 300 pages document. Do I have to do it manually from page to page? I experimented with masterpage, but I found no sollution to my problem.

Thanks,

Axel :-)

So I have to do the shift+double-click-thingy in the master pages or in the 'normal' pages?

Another question concerning novels or documents with a lot of text: is there functionality for hyphentation / syllabification for different languages already available? Would need it for german, but I did not find anything so far.

Thanks

P.S.: For now the publisher looks great. Will definitely buy it, once it's ready :-)

5 hours ago, Neolino666 said:

So I have to do the shift+double-click-thingy in the master pages or in the 'normal' pages?

Normal, no need to touch masters.

Hyphenation in foreign languages seem to be a hack right now, but it should be coming... at least before commercial release.

7 hours ago, Neolino666 said:

Another question concerning novels or documents with a lot of text: is there functionality for hyphentation / syllabification for different languages already available? Would need it for german, but I did not find anything so far.

When you edit your text style, there's an option to set the language. I'd love to have a document-wide setting, though. 

Okay, I played around a bit today, and a few other questions arose:

When I set up a master page (facing) for the novels body text, I add a text box to each of the pages and link them. Then I add text and paragraph styles. When I paste my novels text into the 'normal' page, it adds all the needed pages automatically, but the page on the right side looks like there is another text box overlayed (see attached image).

When I don't do a master page, I paste the text directly into a 'normal' page, it adds the pages as well without the messed up overlay thingy. But I would need to add the styles for every page manually and that sucks.

Could someone please explain how the process would look like to set up a basic novel? I thought you generate master pages with linked text boxes for the text and the chapter titles, give those styles and paste the text into the 'normal' page, then the needed pages are created automatically and you are basically done. Is that correct or am I missing something here?

Hyphenations work in german, if you set the language in the styles for hyphenations to german and set those to '1'.

Screenshot 2018-08-31 17.44.26.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.