I'd love to see Affinity Publisher support tagged and accessible PDFs from the ground up, ideally with full support for PDF/UA. Many institutions and government bodies require this for public documents, and making it part of the program's logic could be a major selling point.

I am not convinced that the way in which InDesign implements this in is the best way of going about it; it tends to create a lot of extra work that most people don't bother with. Instead, it should be possible to use this structural information to make document creation more efficient and improve a print/Web workflow.

I totally agree. I don't know many designers who even know it's possible to create an accessible PDF, or what it actually means. But everyone gets it for web work. I can't see a single disadvantage of PDFs were created to be accessible by default.

Maybe this functionality could be implemented in both Publisher and Designer. Government bodies request the WCAG 2.1 standard as from December 2018 for PDF and web material. It would be an enormous bonus to be able to use both Affinity Designer and Publisher to conform. The rationale of this standard can be found here: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/

Also see other requests on this forum https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/65212-tagged-pdf-support-for-accessibility/

@Chrysogonus - agreed.

Accessibility is now a legal requirement in the UK for public sector websites (even for very small public sector bodies who struggle to afford Adobe software).

This includes any PDFs on the websites.

Even MS Word now has an option to save an accessible PDF.