You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EPUB, Mobi and other formats for ebooks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3 hours ago, Guyon said:

Please add ePub.  I am confused how you can have a publishing program without looking to the future of paperless documents.

The future? How about the present.

However, you could half way argue that publishing software like this is 90% about the visual layout, while ebook formats are barely related in that manner. So it makes sense to put ebooks lower on the list.

Ebooks are probably closer to html publishing in the grand scheme. I mean really ePub is closer to the domain of traditional word processors that desktop publishers.

I still want an ePub export option though.

1 hour ago, pixelstuff said:

However, you could half way argue that publishing software like this is 90% about the visual layout, while ebook formats are barely related in that manner. 

Not so. Fixed layout ePubs are all about precise layout. As well, they afford interactive features not possible in reflow type ePubs. 

17 hours ago, MikeW said:

Not so. Fixed layout ePubs are all about precise layout. As well, they afford interactive features not possible in reflow type ePubs. 

I figure if you do fixed layout it might as well be PDF and have greater compatibly.

What advantage would an fixed layout ePub have over PDF?

Epubs should be a reflowable layout. Ereaders have problems with fixed layouts, they mostly do not look good.

I think Apub is targetting tradional printing instead of the ereader/epub market segment. I am using Jutoh for my epub documents. I do not think it is a good idea for Apub to support epub/kindle compiling. Good epub documents do not contain much formatting because the user can change it in the blink of an eye.

For true traditional printing or wordprocessing documents it is another matter. There layout is much more important and necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

All the big name publishing program have epub, as well as many of the lesser ones. If you do not add it to the planning now it may never get added.

Even the old Pageplus could export to epub. Sure leave out a feature that many people want and watch the lack of features in the reviews.

I would not need Publisher to do crippled epubs. It should do perfect epubs, not some halfbaked versions. At the moment Jutoh can be coaxed to export good quality epubs, I am not so sure there are other as good solutions. Possibly Sigil, but learning curve is a bit steep there.

40 minutes ago, Guyon said:

So why is Affinity ignoring this feature?

Why do you claim Affinity is ignoring this feature?

The programm is not even release yet. It is available as a public beta version. It is obvious (at least to me) that the development team had to make a choice what can be accomplished in the first version and what not.

As it seems they have decided to start out with a feature set aimed at traditional publishing (in terms of print) first. It is said in this forum, that future development will also target digital publishing, too. I assume this can include epub, as well, even if I do not know this for sure.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

20 hours ago, dominik said:

Why do you claim Affinity is ignoring this feature? 

Because at this point in the game they are ignoring it.  Obviously :)  Definition of ignore - refuse to take notice of or acknowledge.

In the future, if they ever even put out a roadmap with this feature on it that will change the comment, but as of this second, the feature is ignored.  It seems to be a very popular request, and it would be nice if Serif would simply reply one way or the other.

46 minutes ago, Guyon said:

Definition of ignore - refuse to take notice of or acknowledge.

I want to point you to this posting by Patrick Connor which, to me, seems to be the opposite of refuse or take notice.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 month later...

Despite the fact ebook creation would be a nice feature, I think the main purpose of Affinity Publisher is in Desktop publishing. Adobe Indesign can produce epub, mobi ebooks. However, dedicated ebook creation applications like Jutoh are far better than Indesign or Publisher will ever be. Not because they are not capable but because paper publishing is very much different than ebook publishing.

With Publisher format and style is very important. For ebook creation formatting and style is very important as long as the generated ebook is easy to read and navigate. Creating bookmarks and notes is much more important than layout.

PagePlus also could generate ebooks, however there where many problems with it. Atlantis WordProcessor, Microsoft Word can create ebooks too, however Word add a lot of garbage.

One good advice, if you really want to create ebooks, use dedicated applications like Jutoh. It is worthwhile the steep learning curve.

Chris