You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I am really impressed with this new product of yours. For a newborn it has a lot of interesting features.

1. PDF import is great!!!

2. Copy/Paste from Word -- great again!!! Keeps all formatings and even styles!!!

3. Great speed when working with 1000+ text pages document (comment by Erik Pietrik. I still can't find how he succeed to make text reflow from page to page.)

4. Table feature in the very beggining. Wow!!! Yes, it still has to be polished, but yes. It is great. I just can't understand the difference between "Frame" and "Stroke and Fill" in Table pannel.

Now, can you explain to me:

1. How to create a new document with linked text boxes.

2. Also, when I am typing text, it doesn't automatically create a new page with linked text box to continue when text comes to the end of the page.

Suggeston:

You should add "Number of Pages" and "Bleed" in "File > New".

I will play with "Text Styles" tomorrow just to see if you had listened to my suggestions.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I agree. Only had a quick play but so far so good. The way the layers work is a little bit odd. Every new object gets a new layer unless you manually put them in a layer. Would be better if it put everything into Layer 1 as a default. Even after I put everything into a layer and drew a new object it then created another new layer.

Also lock and unlocking layers would be better if each layer had its own padlock rather having to click on the layer and then go up to the top to unlock it.

11 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Now, can you explain to me:

1. How to create a new document with linked text boxes.

2. Also, when I am typing text, it doesn't automatically create a new page with linked text box to continue when text comes to the end of the page.

Hi, I expect you have seen the tutorial videos already and know how to create linked text frames (https://affinity.serif.com/de/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/286540600/).

So do you mean something like an option like "Auto link text frames with the next added text frame"?

Sounds like an interesting idea if it dosn't already exist yes.

Or something like this when inserting text:

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

I have to say I like it. As a long time PagePlus user (vs. 3.5, 1994 to X9), I found it easy to navigate around Publisher. It feels familiar, but clean sheet. I've been looking forward to this release since I first heard this program was in that works. Not finding anything to feel disappointed about yet. I like the cross-compatibility with Designer and Photo as well.

16 minutes ago, af-user said:

Hi, I expect you have seen the tutorial videos already and know how to create linked text frames (https://affinity.serif.com/de/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/286540600/).

So do you mean something like an option like "Auto link text frames with the next added text frame"?

Sounds like an interesting idea if it dosn't already exist yes.

Or something like this when inserting text:

Something like ID and Q have in "File > New". You select "Auto Text Flow" and when new document is created any imported text that span multiple pages, creates as many pages as need it. Also, if you enter text manually, when you come to the end of the text box, a new page is automatically created with linked text box.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

This is fast and so in keeping with the rest of the family. The layers are fine in my view because layers group together in the same way that they do in Designer and Photo and once the vecor and photo personas are added to Publisher, the logic will be consistent. The tables feature is good with stroke and fill handling the cell boundaries. We may have had to wait but great to see such product consistency and the blend of complex capabilities with a good UI. The pass-on of settings from last action is excellent.

I tried importing a multi-page pdf but the only way I could get its content onto separate pages within the Pubisher document was to copy the layer from the first page, create a new page, paste the layer into that one and then select the pdf page from the embedded document dialog.  Could there be an option to place into as many new pages as would be required?

1 minute ago, Emulite said:

This is fast and so in keeping with the rest of the family. The layers are fine in my view because layers group together in the same way that they do in Designer and Photo and once the vecor and photo personas are added to Publisher, the logic will be consistent. The tables feature is good with stroke and fill handling the cell boundaries. We may have had to wait but great to see such product consistency and the blend of complex capabilities with a good UI. The pass-on of settings from last action is excellent.

I tried importing a multi-page pdf but the only way I could get its content onto separate pages within the Pubisher document was to copy the layer from the first page, create a new page, paste the layer into that one and then select the pdf page from the embedded document dialog.  Could there be an option to place into as many new pages as would be required?

Instead of importing, try to OPEN the PDF file.

36 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Instead of importing, try to OPEN the PDF file.

I was thinking about including a number of pdf's in the middle of another document rather than just opening one, where you might have multiple contributors to your publication submitting via pdf. I did a comparison of documents where I imported a pdf and then layer copied to give different numbers of pages for each. The file size did not increase too much as a result. Also liked the fact you have the option to edit the pdf document with its elements all split into layers.