You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

why .icc and not .dcp camera profiles ?

i wonder why you have chosen icc instead of dng profile support ?  dng profiles are easy to  build and work rather well.  but .icc profiles are a different world.  from my experience icc camera profiles are very limited,  there are only two software options available to build icc camera profiles. one of them is a command line tool as x rite has dumped icc camera profiling support and went dcp too. 

csp, I'm not even close to being sufficiently tech savvy to give an explanation but that may not be a bad thing here  :D.   I use icc profiles to match camera - monitor - printer (B&W or Colour, and paper manufacture and type) and that's because my camera, monitor and printer all have support for icc.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

I can't say I fully understand it all, but this Color.org white paper "Using ICC Profiles with Digital Camera Images" (PDF) that I found on Google talks about why ICC profiles are not always appropriate for use as camera profiles. It says for instance

"...ICC profiles can be used in this way to correct for color rendering deficiencies in specific images or groups of images. However, using camera

profiles to compensate for inadequate color rendering can cause profile management, workflow, and interoperability problems, and there is a lot of user
dissatisfaction. It is also somewhat misleading to think of these profiles as camera profiles, because in most cases they are essentially image correction
profiles, or color re-rendering profiles.
Also, ICC color management workflows generally assume that the colorimetry expressed in the PCS is of a [color-rendered] picture, and not of a scene..."

The paper is 10 years old so I don't know what has changed or improved, but it certainly seems to indicate the original reasons why DNG profiling is often used instead of ICC profiling, for cameras.

...well this is only part of the problem.  but my main concern is that the development team might be not able  to build good ( hand tuned, like c1 does ) profiles  for all those cameras in use old and new ones in a oversee able timeframe. maybe i'm wrong and the os offers the solution.  another problem with icc input profiles is that it is almost impossible for an average user to build good icc camera profile in opposite to the dng route where there are 3 software options available some of them free if you own a colorchecker.  but more important  they work very well.  right now i think the  camera profile option is broken anyway because i was not able to make ap see a camera profile.  it would be really interesting if the development team would  unveil what  targets they have and what kind of colormanaged image pipeline they plan for the develop persona.

after playing a little more with the develop persona i observed that ap is able to open dng files but seems to  ignore the embeeded  profil  so this workaround is also not a possible  solution to get useable color rendering.

• 4 years later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.