I've just bought Publisher today and would like to import a Word document. Not essential but I want to learn what publisher can do).

In Affinity Publisher Help it says:-

"Adobe InDesign and Microsoft Word content can also be added to Publisher using a simple copy and paste, with the latter being importable using its DOCX file format."

It then proceeds to tell you about PDF importing but there's no further mention of Word. I can't for the life of me to get anything to go in.

What am I missing? Must I save as RTF as stated above, in which case why does Help not say so?

Thanks.

21 hours ago, BrianSmith said:

importable using its DOCX file format.

Can you do this?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.8.0.518

To import a word docx create an apub document then use file use File>Place and select the word document and place in the apub document, this is the same as importing a PDF I think.

4 hours ago, AlanPickup said:

this is the same as importing a PDF I think

Not really, because importing a PDF gives you an embedded or looked document with exactly 1 page available.

Importing a .docx file gives you all the text, formatting, and images in the .docx file.

It's better to create a Text Frame first, and Place the file into it, by the way, in my opinion.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.518 Beta

On 10/4/2019 at 10:56 AM, BrianSmith said:

What am I missing? Must I save as RTF as stated above, in which case why does Help not say so?

When this thread was current (early beta), RTF & plain text files were the only means of importing text. That is no longer true, so if you haven't tried to directly import a .docx, go ahead and try it.

I cannot find .docx in the list of file types that can be placed? (See screenshot). Am I missing something? I am using Af Pubisher in Windows, Release 1.7.3.481.

capture.jpg