You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import from Word

• 1 year later...

I've just bought Publisher today and would like to import a Word document. Not essential but I want to learn what publisher can do).

In Affinity Publisher Help it says:-

"Adobe InDesign and Microsoft Word content can also be added to Publisher using a simple copy and paste, with the latter being importable using its DOCX file format."

It then proceeds to tell you about PDF importing but there's no further mention of Word. I can't for the life of me to get anything to go in.

What am I missing? Must I save as RTF as stated above, in which case why does Help not say so?

Thanks.

21 hours ago, BrianSmith said:

importable using its DOCX file format.

Can you do this?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

To import a word docx create an apub document then use file use File>Place and select the word document and place in the apub document, this is the same as importing a PDF I think.

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

4 hours ago, AlanPickup said:

this is the same as importing a PDF I think

Not really, because importing a PDF gives you an embedded or looked document with exactly 1 page available.

Importing a .docx file gives you all the text, formatting, and images in the .docx file.

It's better to create a Text Frame first, and Place the file into it, by the way, in my opinion.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 10/4/2019 at 10:56 AM, BrianSmith said:

What am I missing? Must I save as RTF as stated above, in which case why does Help not say so?

When this thread was current (early beta), RTF & plain text files were the only means of importing text. That is no longer true, so if you haven't tried to directly import a .docx, go ahead and try it.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.