You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Behaviour when moving guides

When creating a text frame by clicking and dragging with the text tool (T) from a guide the guide gets dragged instead of creating the text frame. Guides should only be moved with the moving tool (V) and should stand still when in other tools; that's how the rest of the suite (and InDesign) works.

I seem to recall various forum posts where users have complained that guides can only be moved with the Move tool - I guess Affinity listened, and now some folks don't like it!

At least you can lock guides, by toggling Enable Guides Editing on the main toolbar.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

7 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

At least you can lock guides, by toggling Enable Guides Editing on the main toolbar.

Which is something else a lot of users have been requesting. Considering what they have said about the beta being a 1.7 version & not compatible with 1.6.x versions of Designer & Photo, & the (eventual but don't hold your breath) updates of those apps to compatible 1.7 versions, I would not be surprised if this & the companion origin editing Tool Options on the main toolbar both become standard features for all the apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

HI ophion

This is something we decided to do for 1.7 due to people not liking having to go to the move tool to bring out or edit a guide. You can however turn it off on the main tool bar. There is a button in the top right that says guide editing. Just disable that to get the old behaviour

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

27 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

There is a button in the top right that says guide editing. Just disable that to get the old behaviour

Is the two button "Tool Options" item this is part of supposed to be in the 'default set' for the main toolbar? IIRC, it was not there when I first launched the app, & in the "Customize Toolbar..." dropdown, it does not appear to be included in the default set.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

52 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

Yup it is a default. It should be next to the insertion target buttons and is on the default bar for me when i drag it out. Try a ctrl+run if you don't have it

I do have it on the toolbar because I dragged it there, but I am almost certain it was not there when I launched the app for the first time. But I was experiencing several other seemingly random oddities the first few times I launched it as well (like showing the Photos main menu or labeling the built-in help menu item as "Affinity Designer Help") so I can't be sure about that.

Affinity Photo 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.